Loud hammer when pump turns on...

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
For the last week or so I have noticed an intermittent loud hammering in the supply pipe coming from the pump. I can hear it about 30-40 feet away from where the pressure tank is located somewhere up inside the finished basement ceiling. I just installed two strong clamps to hold the pipe in place to stop any physical movement of the pipe near the check valve so I know it isn't just the pipe banging against a floor joist.

There is a check valve with pressure switch located before the tank, I filled the tank to 28psi air and the cut in/off pressure is set at 50/30 psi. The hammering noise is happening only when the pump comes on, when turning off there is no hammer.

I am wondering if the check valve at the tank is bad or the check valve down in the well at the pump is bad? Could the pressure tank be causing this? Remember the hammer is only happening when the pump turns on.

I went to local Lowes and Home Depot to find another brass check valve with the two holes for the pressure switch and air bleeder but no luck. Haven't had a chance to get to a local plumbing house yet.

Am I missing anything here in my troubleshooting?

Jeff

Attachments

• 100_2528.jpg
    100_2528.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 100_2530.jpg
    100_2530.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,247

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Well

Is Your expansion tank waterlogged?? Has to be empty of water ,to charge to proper pressure. All the smart Guys are still sleeping!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don’t need another check valve up top, you need to do away with the one you have. You can take it apart and pull the poppet or "guts" out of it, so you can still use the 1/4" hole to attach the pressure switch. If after removing the poppet from the check valve the pressure bleeds off while you are not using any water, then the check valve on the pump is bad, and it will need to be replaced. The check up top is masking the problem, so you won’t know if you have a problem down hole until you remove the above ground check valve. See the sticky at the top of the page about multiple check valves for more info.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
It's a water hammer arrestor...

I installed it soon after this loud hammer problem started up. If it doesn't belong there I can unscrew it and plug it.

So far I understand I need to remove the check? I need to understand why someone put it there and for what reason is it causing a problem?

What are you referring to about the "allen wrench"?

Jeff

Last edited:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
see the sticky at top of page?

You don’t need another check valve up top, you need to do away with the one you have. You can take it apart and pull the poppet or "guts" out of it, so you can still use the 1/4" hole to attach the pressure switch. If after removing the poppet from the check valve the pressure bleeds off while you are not using any water, then the check valve on the pump is bad, and it will need to be replaced. The check up top is masking the problem, so you won’t know if you have a problem down hole until you remove the above ground check valve. See the sticky at the top of the page about multiple check valves for more info.

I am not sure what you are referring too? I would like to read the article though...

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Why no air in line?

if my check valve on pump isn't sealing properly and the water is running back through the pump, wouldn't I be hearing air coming through my faucets?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
So far I understand I need to remove the check? I need to understand why someone put it there and for what reason is it causing a problem?

What are you referring to about the "allen wrench"?
An additional check valve is installed to prevent having to pull the pump or foot valve with a jet pump when there is a leak back to the well or pump or foot valve.

No, no air in the lines because the pump comes on before the water can run out of the drop pipe.

The bad check valve's popit could be sticking now causing the noise.

Forget the allen wrench, it wasn't you that mentioned one.

I see a copper water hammer arrestor on the PVC line. Maybe it is full of water and not 'arresting' any hammer.

Last edited:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
more questions...

I appreciate all the great advice. I went out to the well casing and used a vinyl measuring tape to see how deep my well goes down... 150ft, unless it actually goes alot deeper and I just touched the first torque arrestor thinking I hit the pump. I have never had the pump out so I have no idea what HP it is or what brand it is. I used a amp meter at the pressure switch and it has about 14amps inrush current and 6-7amps FLA. Does anyone have experience guessing what hp motor I may have?

Tell me, will this kill me to pull it out by myself? I went to local Ace Hardware and had a t-pipe made up with 1" threaded pipe to grab the drop pipe from the pitless adapter.

Anyone have any ideas for a makeshift drop pipe clamp or something that will let me rest while pulling it out? It's a 1" black plastic pipe going down to the pump. Would a pipe wrench work as a vise? How about making a tripod with 2x4s and using a pulley?

Once I get the pump out, will I be able to find the correct check valve at either Lowe's or Home Depot?

Last edited:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
To be more accurate, I put a clamp meter on it and rechecked, it's 8 amps. The pump is about 160feet down and 1" supply line. What HP do you come up with then?

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks