Loud - gurgling - bathroom sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

SA

Reaction score
Loud dripping noise echo after Vanity Drains

I have just got a new vanity installed, under the sink the drains are PVC with P Trap. When the tap is closed, there is laud dripping noise continue to come long after the tap is closed.
It seem water drop are dropping to a water pool and echo through the pipes. Can any one help??
regards
SA

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
SA - your "dripping" noise may actually be the sound of the pipe expanding against wood.

67stang

Reaction score
Website
www.fordmuscle.com
I wonder what would happen if you used the 1 1/4" P trap that often comes with sinks instead of 1.5" ABS? I'm wondering if the size of the trap is making it much worse.

Nate
This crossed my mind. In fact, I initially set out trying to install a 1 1/4" trap kit, but the stuff is so flimsy, so many joints with plastic insert seals. And I could not get a good coupling with the 1 1/2" ABS drain inlet in the wall.

So I switched to 1 1/2" abs for as far as I could. I find it is much more solid, joint wise.

The other curve ball is that I have basically the exact same setup in another bathroom. Same abs p trap, same tail pipe length. Only difference is the brand and dimensions of the sink. The sink is SILENT!

I think I am concluding that the noise is a combination of the actual sink design - how the faucet is positioned, how the water hits the sink and flows into the tail piece, etc. Also probably some unknown combination of vent pipe configuration, etc.

whatever, i'll live with it i suppose :)

michel1

Reaction score
Water Heater Dilemma

Hello friends I am Michel I am suffering from a problem from a week. Actually what I want is to install a water heater in my bathroom. I had consult many plumbers but many are saying that they are going to repair the heater only for 6 months after installation without taking charges but after that they are going to take repairing charges and rest of them are not giving any repairing warranty which is not expectable by me. So please help me regarding this issue I will be highly obliged for that.

Fidodie

Reaction score
Loosen the slip joints and push the trap lower. (As I wrote in the immediately previous post.) Doing so will increase the height of the seal (the quantity of water sealing the trap). That may help. Push it 5 millimeters down.

David

Just to clarify David's advice, you are not changing the drop from the sink to the top of the water in the trap, just the depth of the water in the trap which is established by the weir. You had a Q about this somewhere in the thread. I'm not sure it is possible, since it appears that the connection at the back of the trap is not compression.

also, you mentioned the tail piece is extended far into the trap - any chance it is interfering with the flow?

might also have air trapped between the compression ring and the top dip, outside the tail piece. (I'm betting on trapped air at the moment) shortening the tail should fix it. As a comparison, look at the joint where the two tails are connected. There is a seat (hub?) for them to meet, and no space between them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks