Lots of bubbles in water (cloudy) that dissipate...help!

Users who are viewing this thread

lip

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a house thats on well water. The former owner just had replaced the pump and vfd as well as the iron remover. The iron remover is a Waterite Fusion2 iron filter (and a large tank/bladder before that).
There is also an older culligan water softener and UV light after that.

The question I have is it normal to have the water be full of little bubbles when you turn on the tap? It will dissipate after awhile and then it's totally clear.

I'm also wondering if this oxygen in the water can damage the copper piping in my house...

Thanks.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about the Watertight Fusion filter but, if it used an air injector and the PO didn't remove it with the filter, its job was to add micro-bubbles of air to the system to precipitate the iron. If its still in place, its adding air to your system. If you have an injector it will be near the well tank on the discharge side. Remove it.

lip

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

It uses an aerator to inject air into the filter to remove the iron....If I remove it, it's not going to work I guess.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That's how many iron filters work, by injecting air as micro-bubbles. Is your micronizer after the bladder tank?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
For some reason I thought the PO had removed the filtration equipment but............. Anyhoo, yes, if you have a micronizer you will have aerated water.

lip

Reaction score
That's how many iron filters work, by injecting air as micro-bubbles. Is your micronizer after the bladder tank?

Yes, it's installed on the iron filter I think...
I've read that the increased air in the lines can corrode copper pipes...any truth to that?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Air is just a small percentage of oxygen and the action of oxidizing the iron depleted some of it. It is more the pH you need to worry about.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If there is a faucet tip aerator on the faucets you see the bubbles, remove it without losing parts and then see if you still have the bubbles. If so, there is a problem with the aerator whether it be an injector in the plumbing or an air compressor on the iron filter, and it needs to be fixed or adjusted properly.

lip

Reaction score
If there is a faucet tip aerator on the faucets you see the bubbles, remove it without losing parts and then see if you still have the bubbles. If so, there is a problem with the aerator whether it be an injector in the plumbing or an air compressor on the iron filter, and it needs to be fixed or adjusted properly.

No...I've tried it on various faucets...there are bubbles in every one...

Some say this is normal and you say it's not...
:-(

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Try this.

Open a non aerated faucet very slowly, about 1/4 GPM flow rate. Let it run for a minute without anything els running. See if the air bubbles are present then. If not, try opening the faucet full blast.

It is like a 2 liter bottle of soda, the air bubbles are in the water, and when the faucet is opened, the sudden depressurization causes the air to come out of suspension. If you do not suddenly depressurize the water, the air will stay in the water.

Not that this will fix your problem, it is more informational and a good quick test.

lip

Reaction score
I get the bubbles at all faucets...none of them have built in aerators
To be honest, I can't see how this isn't normal after thinking about it...the system is injecting air into the water flow where the iron filter is...since the system is pressurized the air will not escape until you turn on a tap...
Is that not correct thinking?

Thanks.

lip

Reaction score
It is a very rare house that doesn't have faucet tip aerators except on tub faucets, utility sinks and outside faucets.

Is your iron filter supposed to add air to the water? If so there can be something wrong with it and it is adding too much air.

Spoke to the manufacturer...it's perfectly normal they say. It's a an FOB type unit. If I want to get rid of the bubbles they said I could add another tank afterwards of some sort but it's really not necessary...seems I was worried for nothing

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
And yet, if you have any type of water treatment that adds/uses air injection of any kind, it may be adding too much air or, not venting it properly. You should remove a faucet tip aerator from a faucet that you see air bubbles in and then run the water to make sure it is clear with no bubbles. That's the only way to determine if your equipment is adding too much air or not venting properly IF the equipment has some form of vent; all air pump (air compressor) types do, and it is common for the vent to become blocked. Many air injector type (air sucking venturi in the plumbing) equipment do not have a vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks