Lost Water - turned controls on Pumptrol several times and not sure what to do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

JonnyTar

Reaction score
I just moved into an older home and had a new electric hot water tank installed. Everything went very smooth and tested good after the install. Took a shower the next morning and water ran out after @ 12 minutes. Checked the pressure gauge and noticed it was at "0" and the Pumptec unit was "tripped". I messed around with the Pumptrol controls and am afraid that I turned them both too many times in so many directions - now I have no idea where the Pumptrol settings are and the Pumptec unit will not turn back "on".

Please assist me with some good troubleshooting from this point! Thank you

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What model Pumptrol do you have? Does it have a lever on the side? If so, the lever needs to be lifted just enough to start the pump. Lift it too much and you lock it out.

From you say controls (plural) I assume it has two adjuster nets on two springs. Tightening the big spring raises both kick-in and kick-out at the same time. Tightening the small spring raises only kickout.

JonnyTar

Reaction score
I don't have the model # with me but I do know it does NOT have the lever on the side. Yes I have two adjuster nuts (which I called controls) and unfortunately I started to tighten, then un-tightened them several times and now have no idea where they are set at. It was installed as 40/60 and have turned both nuts clockwise and counterclockwise 10+ turns. How can I get it back to default or understand where 40/60 is?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Just watch the contacts and the pressure gauge. Loosen the small spring first. Then, as you loosen the big spring, the contacts should close when the pressure on the gauge shows 40 PSI. If the contacts open before it reaches 60, tighten the small spring.

If you cannot get the contacts to close, there is likely mineral build-up under the diaphragm and your best bet is to buy a new switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks