Lost water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

wishon1

Reaction score
I was running my water in the shower when I suddenly noticed a loss of water pressure, within minutes I lost pressure altogether. I have a well with a 30/50 square d pressure regulator. When I went to diagnose the problem I could hear the submersible well pump kick on for about 5 seconds then shut off, and kick back on and off again about every 30 seconds. My pressure on the gauge was at zero but rose to 15 psi until the pump kicked back off. It was constantly running on and off but never building more than 15 psi and than it would immediatly go back to zero pressure. I finally kicked off my breaker so I wouldn't burn the pump up. I also checked the tank pressure and it was at 45psi. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Bad Pressure switch I hope? Dry well I hope not? Bad well pump? Bad pressure tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eric

wishon1

Reaction score
I forgot to memtion that it is a we have a water softner as well but that shouldn't make a difference in the pressure

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bladder tank check.

Your bladder tank shoud have 28 PSI pressure, (2 lbs under the kick in pressure of 30). When you check the bladder tank pressure, make sure that there is no water pressure in the water lines, that go to the bladder tank.
Your well coming on and off like that, (if there is no water running) kind of sounds like a bad check valve. Check that bladder tank first....get it down to that 28 psi, and get back with us. When you get it to that 28 psi, wait about 15 minutes, and check the pressure again, to make sure it is holding that 28 psi.

Mike

Last edited:

fornarog

Reaction score
could also be possible that your impeller spun off on your submersible well pump. Mine acted the same way.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was running my water in the shower when I suddenly noticed a loss of water pressure, within minutes I lost pressure altogether. I have a well with a 30/50 square d pressure regulator. When I went to diagnose the problem I could hear the submersible well pump kick on for about 5 seconds then shut off, and kick back on and off again about every 30 seconds. My pressure on the gauge was at zero but rose to 15 psi until the pump kicked back off. It was constantly running on and off but never building more than 15 psi and than it would immediatly go back to zero pressure. I finally kicked off my breaker so I wouldn't burn the pump up. I also checked the tank pressure and it was at 45psi. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Bad Pressure switch I hope? Dry well I hope not? Bad well pump? Bad pressure tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eric

You may also take off the cover to your pressure switch, and then run your pump. When you turn on your well pump, see if the contacts, (in the pressure switch) open and close as your pump is going on and off. Be careful when you take off that cover to the pressure switch, because there is high voltage in there! If your contacts open, and you only have 15 psi, then you may have a bad pressure switch or it needs adjustment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks