Lost Water Pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by wishon1, Sep 18, 2008.

1. wishon1

wishon1 New Member

I was running my water in the shower when I suddenly noticed a loss of water pressure, within minutes I lost pressure altogether. I have a well with a 30/50 square d pressure regulator. When I went to diagnose the problem I could hear the submersible well pump kick on for about 5 seconds then shut off, and kick back on and off again about every 30 seconds. My pressure on the gauge was at zero but rose to 15 psi until the pump kicked back off. It was constantly running on and off but never building more than 15 psi and than it would immediatly go back to zero pressure. I finally kicked off my breaker so I wouldn't burn the pump up. I also checked the tank pressure and it was at 45psi. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Bad Pressure switch I hope? Dry well I hope not? Bad well pump? Bad pressure tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eric
  2. wishon1

wishon1 New Member

I forgot to memtion that it is a we have a water softner as well but that shouldn't make a difference in the pressure
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Shut everything down and check the bladder tank...do you know how?
  4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Kicking off and back on in 30 seconds sounds like the thermal overload protector. This is usually in the motor which means there is a problem with the pump/motor. It will probably have to be pulled.

When you do like Cass suggested, see if the pressure switch's points are opening when the pump shuts off or if they stay closed.

bob...