lost in little rock

Users who are viewing this thread

cdubya

Reaction score
Help! I'm redoing a bathroom and need to replace plywood subfloor around the cast iron toilet flange. I've never worked with cast iron before. I don't have access from below without going through a ceiling. I'd prefer not to splice the subfloor around the flange if I can help it. Any hints on how to?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The best thing to do would be to remove the flange and then install a new one on top of the new finished floor when the time comes.

cdubya

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I'm new here. The question may have been better suited to the toilet forum. After some looking around in the toilet forum, I've removed the flange intact. Yippee!

If reusing, does the flange and pipe surface require any prep before reapplying oakum and lead?

cdubya

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward replacing the cast iron toilet waste line with pvc. I don't have enough room for the drop required for a 4 x 3 closet bend & flange. I was told to use a 3" street 90. The flange would fit on the outside.

Does this sound like a good idea to those in the know?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks