Loss of water pressure when washing machine is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Maine15

Reaction score
Type of pump?
Submersible________
Two wire (no control)________
Three wire (control box)______
Wire Size_________ Wire Length________
or
Jet Pump (above ground)____Stayrite
One or two pipes down the well__2__

Size of Pump?
Motor Horsepower?_______3/4
Pump Model #______________
Date Pump Installed__________

Pumping from?
Cistern tank___________
Pond, lake, river________
Water Well____________
Depth of well_____shallow well_____
Depth to water_________
Pump Setting__________
Pipe Size_________"
Drop Pipe Material
PVC________
Steel_______
Poly________

Well Recovery Rate_______gpm
Well Casing Diameter_______â€
Rock Well__________ Sand Well__________ Other______________
Date Well Drilled____________

Well Casing Material
PVC________ Steel_________ Other_________
Pressure Tank?
Bladder or diaphragm tank (one pipe to tank)______yes___
Size or model of tank_______fiberglass_____Flex lite 22 gallon
Air charge in top of tank, with pump off and water drained_________28___PSI
(check with car tire gauge)
or
Plain Hydro Pneumatic tank (two pipes to tank, one in and one out)_________
Size of tank________________

Pressure Switch Setting?
On 30, off 50 ____yes____
On 40, off 60_________
Other_______________

Pump Control Method?
Cycle Stop Valve model #_________
Variable speed control #__________
Pump Start Relay (sprinkler timer, no tank)__________
Manually turned on and off____________

Pump Protection
Cycle Sensor_________
Pumptec_____________
Low pressure cutoff switch (lever on side)__________
Other_______________

Filters or Softeners____limestone__________
Before or after pressure tank___after
Type of filter________limestone
Bypass available________________

Water Used For?
House Use___yes____ Number of baths___2____ Number of People_______3_
High Flow Showers_______gpm?
Plus/Or
Irrigation with timers___no__

Irrigation with hoses___no
Heat Pump______gpm? No

Problems Experienced
No Water_________________
Water only part time________
Water at all times but weak_____
Air in water_______________
Pressure surging___________
Water Hammer (noise)______
Too Much pressure_________
Other____________________

Pump makes clicking or buzzing sounds____yes, clicks
No Sounds______________
Pressure gauge reading________psi
Other____________________________________

Do you have, and know how to use
an Ampmeter and Voltmeter_____yes_____________
Describe Problem_______When washing machine in basement is used water pressure upstairs drops, air gets in lines. Pump pressure switch seems to be working (replaced it 2 years ago). Bladder is holding pressure. Water flow upstairs (first and second floor) is sporadic until pump finishes and cycles off. This is a recent (few days) problem. Cleaned some sediment from pressure valve hose, Pump comes on when pressure drops to 20, stays on for a few minutes until pressure is up to about 49 when it turns off, gauge drops low briefly and settles at 38. Have a shallow, point well. Don't know how old the pump is, but it could be as old as house (21 years). We have had ample rain.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Need more info. Using the washing machine should have nothing to do with air in the lines or sporadic pressure. I think you may have a leak in the suction line or well point.

Maine15

Reaction score
Water pressure issue

Need more info. Using the washing machine should have nothing to do with air in the lines or sporadic pressure. I think you may have a leak in the suction line or well point.

Since the washing machine is in the basement (lowest place we can use water) I think that when if fills it is allowing all the water in the house to drain down. We don't have this issue when using a shower upstairs for instance. Could this be a problem with the pressure tank? It reads 28 with a tire gauge. The pump, limestone tank, pressure tank and hot water tank are located within a 5 foot area. The washing machine is about 30 feet of pipe away on the same level. As for sporadic pressure, it is only a problem in the minutes after the washing machine fills (until the pump completes cycle). However, on the second floor, toilet will give a slight hiss when flushed as though there is a bit of air in lines. These are not major problems BUT it was not happening last week, so I am trying to solve before it gets worse.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Are you relieving the water pressure from the tank before you measure the air pressure? Ideally, the water should be drained before the air pressure is adjusted to 2 PSI less than the cut-in pressure of the control switch.

You might try running the washer supply hose wide open into a drain to see if your well can keep up with demand.

Maine15

Reaction score
water pressure

Are you relieving the water pressure from the tank before you measure the air pressure? Ideally, the water should be drained before the air pressure is adjusted to 2 PSI less than the cut-in pressure of the control switch.

You might try running the washer supply hose wide open into a drain to see if your well can keep up with demand.

I did check the pressure tank after it was drained, THEN the pump pressmure valve got gunked up. So I cleaned that. I am wondering if my regulator valve needs adjusting, but I don't know how to check it setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks