Loss of water pressure in 1 zone

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Strattons, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Strattons

Strattons New Member

I hope someone can help. I have a 4 zone system and get the water from a lake. In the past few months I have had issues with the pump loosing its prime. I replaced the check valve at the lake edge and the strainer in the lake. I have replaced the index valve as well.
    I have 3 zones that come on as soon as the pump starts, there is a little air blowing for the first minute and then each zone runs OK. One zone always makes the pump drone as air is in the pump. I open the valve and exhaust the air and after a few minutes it will run OK. If I leave the system to run on the timer more often than not this zone is missed as the pressure loss makes the index valve drop and move to the next zone. I have made the troubled zone come on as number 2 or 3 and still have the problem. Zones after it are OK and before it are OK. I don't know what to look for next.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Is the lake level dropping? Is your system using an indexing valve? Look for a suction-side air leak.
  3. Strattons

Strattons New Member

The lake is about 3 feet lower than normal but the intake strainer is well below the surface. It has an indexing valve for 4 zones and I have replaced the guts to this.
    I will check the suction side at the weekend.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Make certain the strainer is not in any way clogged. Every foot of water level dropping is one foot closer to the point where the pump cannot lift the water.