loosing my my mind, shallow well pump probs

Users who are viewing this thread

Btglenn

Reaction score
Just got a new cast iron dayton 1.5hp installed with switch at 50-70 and was loosing prime overnight but worked fine when it was primed

so i replaced the suction line and tightened up my pvc work and got all connect again. primed then and stays primed at test. Go to attach a brand new tank at 48 psi and now the pump wont get to 70 to shut off, no water leaks when it easily got to 70 before. I actually had to increase the switch because it would turn off before it filled the tank. so I lower it to 60 and it shuts off so I can go to work and fix it later.

Come back and its on, melted the flow line and looks like the $500 pump is burned up. Im at wits end with this, I just want a lawn!!!

is this pump repairable? what can i do, i somehow lost pressure but the suction line was still full/primed. It pumped against itself for some reason.

thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Some of those pumps can't build 70 PSI, especially when lifting from a well. Check your pump curve or give us a model number so we can look it up. I bet you just can't set the pressure switch that high with that pump.

Btglenn

Reaction score
THe pump is made by grainger who offers a list of repair parts online at grainger .com http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/rp...20009701&from=detail&mfgSearchCriteria=DAYTON.

It is pump 5uxk2 but now considering what happened to the pump (it pumped against a closed outlet for an extended period and overheated the flow pipe until it melted. Now it will run but not suck water. Which parts likely need replacing? Motor seems to run fine so impeller??

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
before throwing parts at it, make sure all fittings to suction of pump are tight. if pressure side melted, I know suction side is at least loose.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would take it apart and have a look see.

It should be obvious what parts are damaged.

I would change the motor shaft water seal, because it will most likely leak, once you get pressure again.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks