Loosening rusty pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

macminn

Reaction score
I'm replacing my well pump and air pressure tank. I'm a little leary, in that the joints are rusty. Any tips to loosen them? I do have some pics but don't know how to post them here.

R

Rancher

Rust

Most people here swear by PB Blaster and not WD-40. I would think either will work, and a little heat via a propane torch or heat gun would help too.

Rancher

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Rancher said:
Most people here swear by PB Blaster and not WD-40.
Rancher

Thats because PB is a penetrant and WD is for moisture displacement and very lite lubrication.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
WD-40 is great stuff for what it is intended for, but it's not a good penetrating oil. I don't know what it is that makes PB Blaster so much better than other penetrating oils, but it is fantastic stuff for rust and corrosion on tight fittings.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Wrenches and hammers. Works every time. All PB does is make my wife mad when she smells the stuff.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks