Loose tile in shower base

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jhfett, Feb 4, 2008.

1. jhfett

jhfett New Member

Our 35-year-old home has a shower with a fiberglass shower base. The base has a 22- x 23-inch inset in which to install 1-inch-square tiles. We have always had problems getting the tiles to stay in place. After a few months they loosen. Although it is not noticeable, my suspicion is that this is due to slight flex in the fiberglass base. I'm sorry, I don't know what support is under the base.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to get the tiles to hold, or what can be put into the inset to replace the tiles.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I doubt you'll ever get tile to stay in there. FIrst, fiberglass isn't the greatest thing to get thinset to stick to, and second, if the pan is not 100% supported underneath so there is no flex, it won't work.

Now, if you've been using mastic to set the tile - that'll not work either. If I was going to try to make this work (and no guarantees), I'd get the highest flex modified thinset available and try that. Then, maybe use an epoxy grout.
  3. bmclaug264

bmclaug264 New Member

Great stuff

Drill a small hole (3/8") under the tub through the floor from below inject some great stuff expandable foam sealant, not the super expanding just the regular red and yellow can. It might not solve it all, but it will lessen the bounce.