Loose tile in shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

jhfett

Reaction score
Our 35-year-old home has a shower with a fiberglass shower base. The base has a 22- x 23-inch inset in which to install 1-inch-square tiles. We have always had problems getting the tiles to stay in place. After a few months they loosen. Although it is not noticeable, my suspicion is that this is due to slight flex in the fiberglass base. I'm sorry, I don't know what support is under the base.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to get the tiles to hold, or what can be put into the inset to replace the tiles.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I doubt you'll ever get tile to stay in there. FIrst, fiberglass isn't the greatest thing to get thinset to stick to, and second, if the pan is not 100% supported underneath so there is no flex, it won't work.

Now, if you've been using mastic to set the tile - that'll not work either. If I was going to try to make this work (and no guarantees), I'd get the highest flex modified thinset available and try that. Then, maybe use an epoxy grout.

bmclaug264

Reaction score
Great stuff

Drill a small hole (3/8") under the tub through the floor from below inject some great stuff expandable foam sealant, not the super expanding just the regular red and yellow can. It might not solve it all, but it will lessen the bounce.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks