Loose obsolete fitting adapter, how to fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lynn H

Reaction score
I'm putting a bathroom sink in my trailer. The old (wall) pipe is 1 1/4 abs. After 3 weeks I finally found someone who could sell me a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch adapter. The 1 1/2 inch side fits fine, the 1 1/4 side is a bit loose. I can't quite fit a fingernail in the gap but it is sloppy. It's a gap the depth of 4 - 5 pieces of paper. What can I do to ensure no leaks? This is a drain pipe.

I doubt very much if I can find a different make of 1 1/4 adapter. & it may be a smaller outside diameter pipe than standard for all I know. I did get it from an RV supply place. Took the guy a while to locate one.

Extra glue? Or glue then fiberglass mesh tape w/glue on the outside?

Thanks for any help if you can.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds like 1.25" tubular which is smaller.
A tubular will fit inside a standard pipe. How about a picture of what you have?

Lynn H

Reaction score
The adapter is 2 pieces- one sleeve and one - I don't know what to call it. Slips into the sleeve. I just glued them together.

I don't see a way to upload pics from my computer...

Lynn H

Reaction score
OK, here we go;

2DSC_0001_1220.JPG

2DSC_0002_1221.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Normally for a lav, we glue a trap adapter onto the 1.5" ABS.
This is a 1.5" tubular trap and we have the option to use the 1.25" slip joint washer for a lav, or the 1.50" for the kitchen sink.

Lynn H

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks. I have all the pieces. My question is how to deal with a fitting that is a bit loose. It's abs to abs.

What would you do if it was your own home and not a customer's home? OR, what would you do that is an easy fix? I've been 2 frustrating months on this sink ordering weird parts for it. I just want to fit the thing together and get it done. Everything else fits fine except this one joint will be a bit loose. Will fiberglass mesh tape and more glue around the joint work if applied after the initial glued fit has dried?

It is less than a fingernail gap. I can fit 4 layers of paper in the gap but not 5.

I am fitting a straight 1 1/2 pipe to a straight 1 1/4 pipe. Both ABS

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu have screwed up. That is a bushing for 1 1/4" sch. 40 pipe and you have 1 1/4" tubular. Before you glued it in it would have been a simple tsst to get the right adapter. But now, I do not know if any one will have a 1 1/4" street trap adapter to fit into what you used.

Lynn H

Reaction score
HJ, thanks, it's OK, those 2 pieces aren't glued onto the pipe yet.

What does the sch stand for with "sch 40" ? And is "1 1/4 tubular" a name that the RV supply could use to try and find the right bushing? He's interested in having it in stock anyway, if he can get the right ones. What name would you use to try and find the right part?

And is .25mm too big a gap to fill? 4 pieces of paper thick?

Lynn H

Reaction score
so... If I can't find the right fitting...

Is .25mm or 4 pieces of paper's thickness too large a gap to fill? I've seen the flexible adapters but was talked out of one because they're not all that great long term.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks