Loose Moen Shower Knob

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
:confused: Hey guys! I need help ASAP. My husband is out of town and I want to surprise him by replacing our loose temp. control knob in the shower. It doesn't grip the way it should, which makes it hard to change the water temperature. I tried tightening the screw behind the cover plate, but it just keeps turning. Then I tried loosening it so I could just take it out and replace it. Once again, it just keeps turning. Now it's even worse than it was when I started! I even tried pulling out the screw with vice grips, but it won't pull out either! $#@%! How do I get the $%^& screw out so I can replace the knob?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screw

No way to tell since I have never heard of it happening. Are you sure you are describing the problem properly? It would take a very serious problem to strip the handle screw in the stem.

Rburt5

Reaction score
moen knob

Maybe the way I described the problem was confusing. The knob has a lot of play when you try to turn it to adjust the water temp. The screw that goes through the center of the knob does not tighten or loosen it. I thought the screw was stripped, but it won't pull out either. Somebody told me to drill out the head of the screw, pull off the knob, and then get the screw out. I'm worried that I'll ruin the whole unit and cause myself a lot of money in unneccessary repairs if I do that. What do you think?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks