Loose Moen fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

chipshot

Reaction score
I have a recently rebuilt tub surround with new plumbing that was done with PEX. The plumber said the single console Moen fixture I got did not need to be braced from behind. Everything is done now and I have istalled the fixture using the thick wall setting and now the console thing is realatively loose in the wall. Is there anything I can do adhesive wise to keep the faceplat up against the tile? I doubt the caulk will hold it in place.

chipshot

Reaction score
I'm thinking about cutting an access panel and replacing the PEX with braced copper down into the crawlspace where I can connect it to the PEX.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That plumber was full of it...he should have used a metal "L" with ears screwed to bracing in the wall at the end of that pex run, then you'd have something firm to attach the faucet to. For something like a shutoff valve that isn't used often, connection directly to the pex is okay (it's still probably better to terminate it in copper so you can anchor a valve), but not something used daily like in the shower that needs to be firm. My unprofessional opinion.

chipshot

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
That plumber was full of it...he should have used a metal "L" with ears screwed to bracing in the wall at the end of that pex run, then you'd have something firm to attach the faucet to. For something like a shutoff valve that isn't used often, connection directly to the pex is okay (it's still probably better to terminate it in copper so you can anchor a valve), but not something used daily like in the shower that needs to be firm. My unprofessional opinion.

you live, you learn...now I know I could have done the work myself and done it better. I suppose I can make an access panel and at least put some sort of bracing or shims between the pex and durock although it wouldn't be hard to go aead and replace with copper and brace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks