Looks like we should wire with "pipe" !

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ballvalve, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

The skin effect is quite interesting, And perhaps it means we get better voltage transfer with stranded wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect ........ Quite an interesting article about electricity.
  2. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

I don't deal much with high voltages, at least anything above 460VAC, but I always was under the impression that the skin effect is mostly at very high Kilovolts on power transmission lines. Silly me. And at my age, all those formulas just give me a headache.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That is why high voltage conductors ARE basically 'pipe'. You would not like to try to wire a house with copper tubing, and the benefit would be so minimal, that you might not even be able to measure it.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

The use of metal pipes and “skin effects” can cause the metal raceway to become energized.

The biggest problem with skin effects comes from frequencies not the amount of voltages. The higher the frequency the farther out the conductor the current flows. This is the reason we are required to bond both ends of a metal raceway that contains the grounding electrode conductor. Although lightning is a DC event it comes at very high frequencies.
  5. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Ahem; is that last sentence what we would call an oxymoron? Like a Little Giant?;) does that happen frequently? You mean it is ziggy DC?
  6. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

The easy way to think about it is the level of voltage from beginning to end of the event varies from low to very high repeatedly and at a very high rate of speed between peak to peak thus a high frequency.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Lightning is often on/off (think squarewave) so it can approximate a very high frequency, but it's all DC (with a very high speed switch rate!). It looks continuous, but it isn't.