Looking for sink/disposal drain suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

garya505

Reaction score
DSCN6675.JPG

This is my current sink/disposal drain set-up. It drains OK and there are no functional problems, but I'd like to do it better. I suspect the trap isn't to code because of the transition from plastic tubular to the larger PVC and then back to the plastic again. I also don't like the center tee arrangement and would rather have an end waste tee. For the trap, a regular plastic p-trap won't work because of the height of the drain.

The drain is exactly 1-1/8" lower than the disposal outlet.

I am considering the following options:
1. Get rid of the disposal (but my wife likes it).
2. Cut the trap adapter off of the drain, use a 1-1/2" PVC coupler and a PVC 90 connected to a PVC p-trap. I kind of like this idea. It would fit, and would have about a 3" seal depth.
3. Use a regular plastic p-trap like a Keeney 400PVCK, reversed so it will fit. The seal depth would be about 4", maybe slightly more.
4. Lower the drain and use the usual plastic drain parts.

Suggestions, comments, rants?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
What, did you get married yesterday? If your wife likes something then leave it the hell alone. True, I'd have done this set up differently. But if it drains well and doesn't leak I would suggest leaving it as it is. If you just can't help yourself, show up with every part you might conceivably need and have a ball with it. I enjoy doing kitchen sink drains. If it becomes a problem, it's not buried in the sheetrock, and it's fixable. And it's your house.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
If you really want to change it I would use an end outlet waste and a new tubular P-trap extend the desposer
arm into the tee with a slip joint extension tube,
end out.jpg
sj tube.jpg
end out.jpg sj tube.jpg

garya505

Reaction score

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes, something like that. I'm thinking of removing the nut from the desanco, attaching a female PVC adapter to that, then using a PVC trap with union.
Just use the dasanko no need for the female adapter, just a tubular P- trap no need for any glue.

Attachments

• p trap.jpg
    p trap.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 763

garya505

Reaction score
Just use the dasanko no need for the female adapter, just a tubular P- trap no need for any glue.

That would be much preferred, but would not work. Because of the deep sink and the disposal, the inlet is too low to use a plastic tubular p-trap, unless you reverse the j-bend. There are two on the market that claim to be reversible, but I've also seen where inspectors will write up a reversed p-trap anyway.

That's why I'm leaning towards using an end outlet plastic tee assembly, into a PVC trap with union. I've seen pics of them done this way (see attached pic) and I believe they are code-compliant. I might sell my house some day.

Attachments

• imagesASC1ZEUR.jpg
    imagesASC1ZEUR.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 581

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That would be much preferred, but would not work. Because of the deep sink and the disposal, the inlet is too low to use a plastic tubular p-trap, unless you reverse the j-bend. There are two on the market that claim to be reversible, but I've also seen where inspectors will write up a reversed p-trap anyway.

That's why I'm leaning towards using an end outlet plastic tee assembly, into a PVC trap with union. I've seen pics of them done this way (see attached pic) and I believe they are code-compliant. I might sell my house some day.
That works too.

garya505

Reaction score
Well, upon further inspection it looks like what I thought was a PVC trap adapter is actually a thinner-walled adapter of some sort. It has no markings so I don't know what it is, but it doesn't have the usual markings that you see on a PVC fitting. It actually looks like the trap adapter they sometimes include with a plastic p-trap. So, I'm not sure if the UPC and/or IPC codes would allow putting a female PVC adapter onto it.

Got any ideas on this?

garya505

Reaction score
quote; The trap adapter may have straight threads rather than tapered pipe threads.

Change the word "may" to "will" and you will be correct.

I'll have to remove the current trap to see what's actually on there. I'm assuming that you're implying that I can't screw a female PVC adapter onto the trap adapter if the threads on the trap adapter are straight.

I searched extensively and can't find anything that would disallow mixing 1-1/2 sch40 PCV with sch30 or sch20 (or whatever it is) in sink a drain. However, if the threads are incompatible I'll cut it off. I measured and will have about 1-3/4" of straight PVC to connect to if I do that.

garya505

Reaction score
I'm thinking of cutting off the trap adapter and doing it like this.

Attachments

• SCH40_sink_trap_Image27.jpg
    SCH40_sink_trap_Image27.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 676

garya505

Reaction score
OK, here's the final result. I spent half of my Sunday doing this, and missed the Packer Game, but it turned out pretty nice, eh?

It's not too easy to see, but there's a male/female adapter connection just off the waste tee. I put that in just in case my plan didn't work out as well as I thought, so I could just unscrew it and do something else if I needed to. As it turned out, everything worked as planned. As you can see, I had just barely enough room for the plastic tee (with maybe 1/4" to spare).

Overall drop from the disposer output to the wall tee is about 1-1/8" to 1-1/4". I think with anything less than 1", you would have to go with a different design, or open the wall and lower the waste tee. With a disposer outlet only slightly above the level of the waste tee, you might be able to tee the PVC and use two separate traps, just maybe.

BTW, if you were wondering, there's about 1/4" in 12 slope on the disposer output tube.

Attachments

• DSCN6699.JPG
    DSCN6699.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 628
  • DSCN6700.JPG
    DSCN6700.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 608

garya505

Reaction score
That works for me! :)
Thanks Terry - sometimes I get a little carried away, but I usually try to make sure my DIY work is done correctly and to code. It would have been much easier to just remove the disposal, but my wife wanted to keep it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks