Looking for replacement toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Boom

Reaction score
We currently have a ProFlo PF3112e in our master bath and another in our guest bath. The one in our master has a leaky tank and if I'm going to take it apart to fix it it's going to be replaced.

We a looking for a round bowl toilet that sit's at 15", so something very similar to the ProFlo but I want a toilet that uses less water and has a better cleaning action. The ProFlo does a bad job with complete flushes. Since we are on a cistern and have our have our water trucked in saving some water would help. Is there a dual flush that fits these criteria? I would like to stick with a TOTO if possible.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
We currently have a ProFlo PF3112e in our master bath and another in our guest bath. The one in our master has a leaky tank and if I'm going to take it apart to fix it it's going to be replaced.

We a looking for a round bowl toilet that sit's at 15", so something very similar to the ProFlo but I want a toilet that uses less water and has a better cleaning action. The ProFlo does a bad job with complete flushes. Since we are on a cistern and have our have our water trucked in saving some water would help. Is there a dual flush that fits these criteria? I would like to stick with a TOTO if possible.
If you must have a round, standard height bowl, I vote for these three, in no particular order:

Toto Eco Drake (CST743E); Toto Eco Ultramax (MS853113E; American Standard Cadet 3 (2700DA.101). All are consistently strong performers, meet your criteria for dimensions and have a 1.28 gallon flush, as opposed to your 1.6 GPF ProFlo. I like the Eco Ultramax the best because it is a one-piece model.

Boom

Reaction score
If we went for an elongated bowl but still standard height do our options change much?

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
If we went for an elongated bowl but still standard height do our options change much?
Of the three I previously mentioned, they all are available in the standard height with an elongated bowl. The off-brands in the big box stores are generally available in both bowl sizes. I would stay away from those, if you're wanting a good flush with few to no problems. I have personally had bad experiences with newer Kohler toilets, so I definitely won't recommend them. Their fixtures seem to be "prettier," but I'd rather have something less attractive that gets the job done. Don't shy away from the good toilets because of the MSRP. If you Google the model numbers, you can find a good deal on most any. Some people are hesitant to order their toilet online and having it shipped. I have ordered four at different times from different companies and mine were delivered intact.

The trend in popular toilets right now seems to be the ADA height elongated. Being a tall man, I appreciate both of those features. That extra 2+ inches in bowl height is a God-send for my bad knees and back. Unless you're potty training toddlers, I don't know why anyone wouldn't prefer an elongated bowl. If you do have potty training duty, these really cool transitional seats are now available for that purpose.

Last edited:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I want a toilet that uses less water and has a better cleaning action. ... We are on a cistern and have our water trucked in.

The Eco Drake 1.28 gpf regular height 12" rough-in round bowl toilet may be the most cost effective choice. CST743E.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst743e_spec.pdf

Is there a dual flush that fits these criteria?

Probably, but it will be very expensive, much more than the Drake.

Water savings wise, the Drake II at 1.0 gpf comes to mind... but... It's ADA Elongated.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst454cufg-specs.pdf

http://www.totousa.com/products/toilets You will have to "Clear Filter" afterwards to change to a different choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
If you're inclined toward dual flush, there's the H2Option 2-piece Siphonic Dual Flush 1.6/1.0 GPF Round Front (American Standard #2889.216). Here are a couple of video clips for the right height elongated. The model number I gave you is for the round bowl, standard height.

Toto has the Aquia II dual flush (#CST416M). It is standard height with elongated bowl.

There's also the Toto Rowan that is offered in a round bowl model but it's higher than standard height.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
On that 1.0 recommendation, you do not want the cufRg, you want the CUFG. The "R" is going to put the handle on the right side of the bowl instead of the left, and probably cost more money. That's only for certain installations that require by Code a right-side handle (like a public bathroom stall in some configurations).

If you can tolerate a higher toilet, consider the Entrada, CST244EF, elongated and comfort height, because it is going to be efficient and priced a bit lower than the Drake, but still performs like a champ and is excellent quality. Ignore the recommendations of the Rowan and Carusoe; they are not recommended because they are cheapo builder grade toilets that Toto should just discontinue. They have a 2" flush valve and don't perform as well as the rest of the Toto line.

And take anything American Standard says about the quality and performance of its toilets with a big, big grain of salt. 'Nuff said. Get the Toto.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
You should also take into consideration the opinions and experiences of the members of this forum who are not necessarily all-things-Toto. A completely accurate assessment can only be given when and if you've used the product in question. I know that Terry Love is obviously pro-Toto and that's his right and privilege. But at least he tries out different toilets in his home before he gives his assessment. You can read all the reviews and forums in the world, but you can't give a qualified opinion unless you've used the product -- whether or not you are a pro plumber.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
... if I'm going to take it apart to fix it it's going to be replaced.

The ProFlo does a bad job with complete flushes.

What you're really saying is that it's not worth repairing, no?

Dual flush mechanisms may be more finicky and less reliable than the usual Toto innards. Even the Drake II's tower assembly flush valve gives me pause. After seeing what AZ hard water does to the tank hold-down bolt heads inside the tank (metal hard rusty crud filled the screwdriver slot) I am thinking that on my next toilet I will silicone some caps over the bolts (much like the flange bolt covers on the bowl base) before filling it up with water. On one of my Briggs toilets I had to use a hack saw to saw the bolt in half to be able to remove the tank. On the Drakes I used Plumber's Pure Silicone on the bolt threads so that hopefully I will be able to easily remove them years from now. I guess I could have used automotive anti-seize compound, but even that hardens after years' exposure.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst454cufg_parts.pdf

How small is your bathroom that you feel you must have a round toilet? The relatively inexpensive Entrada would probably be a very good choice, even though it is ADA height. It has a nice water spot, too, at 88 square inches. At 30" high it will probably be almost parallel to most bathroom vanity cabinets, which, to me, tends to look better.

http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-00635_CST243EF.pdf

Again, try to find a very slim toilet seat when using an ADA height toilet.

I believe that the consensus is that a two-piece toilet tends to have a better flush and a taller bowl tends to have a better flush and the cyclone Totos have the best flush. In which case the Drake II 1.28gpf, CST454CEF, is probably a good choice (the water spot is smaller than the Drake) since it is just a little more expensive than a Drake (versus the Ultramax II, Soiree and Guinevere). Personally, I think the Drake II is an absolutely beautiful toilet. And like all ADA toilets it is probably best to use a slim toilet seat and a thick small rug to rest one's feet, or always go when wearing thick slippers, sandals or shoes.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ii-gwenyth-owner-comments-and-pictures.26275/

https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Only the One Gallon (1G) version of the Drake II, CST454CUFG (rather than cEfg for the 1.28), uses a flush tower. The regular Drake II, CST454CEFG, uses a flapper.

Wallijohn, did you get the 1Gs? How do they flush? Most folks seem to be quite satisfied with them.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Because of our hardened water I wasn't brave enough to get the 1.0gpf Drake IIs. (I have found that even Fluidmaster fill valves tend to get sticky (float/tube) after awhile because of the mineral deposits.) I almost went with the 1.28gpf Drake II in the master bedroom, as I think that it's a beautiful toilet, but I wanted the larger water spot and went with the Drake 1.6gpf because the double-flushing Briggs and my friend's 1.28gpf Kohlers made me doubt the efficiency of a 1.28gpf toilet. It was only after I tried the 1.28gpf regular height Drake in my hallway bathroom that I was convinced that 1.28gpf is sufficient.

Tonight or tomorrow, since it's a new year, I will be pouring some CLR, Lime Away or ZEP down the overflow tubes to clean out any hard water stains under the rim. (From another thread). I just wish that someone would make it in a slow flowing gel instead of a fast flowing liquid. I'm leaning towards ZEP... It has to be diluted with hot water before use and it should be flushed after about 5 to 10 minutes. (I have some concerns pouring it down a plastic tube...) I'm still researching mineral deposit remover cleaning products. Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
Wallijonn, you might consider a water softener to stop new deposits and to give other advantages.

Consider phosphoric acid for deposits. That used to be the main active ingredient of LimeAway before they tamed down the formula. It is available as "Phosphoric Prep and Etch".

Maybe you could rig up a drip system to deliver your chemical of choice over a longer period.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks