Looking for recommendations on a new tub

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbbob

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan a bathroom addition and want to get some opinions on bathtub fixtures before I start drafting anything. I'd like a nice big (6') soaker tub and prefer cast iron (or at least not acrylic/fiberglass). Not really looking for whirlpool function, but that's not ruled out.

Suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Once you go beyond a certain size the tubs are no longer made in cast iron. Kohler is about the only company that makes a large cast iron tub, such as the Seawall for $3,900.00 plus $4,000.00 for the faucet.

plumbbob

Reaction score
max size for cast iron?

so what is the max size I can get and stay with cast iron?

the other question I should be asking is are there any non-cast iron units that don't feel so 'plastic-y'? I've read about the kohler sok or toto units but haven't found a place here in DC that stocks them to test-feel the unit.

Lancaster

Reaction score
Kohler villager,is cast iron, is 5 foot long and I have never heard any complaints except that it weighs about 300 pounds.Eat your Wheaties when it is delivered.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The villager only feels like 500 pounds. It is really only 350, but the Seafoam is 550 pounds of cast iron. There are many manufacturers who make "solid" tubs, Jetta and Jacuzzi being just two of them. These companies specialize in pumped tubs, but they all sell the same tubs without the pump system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks