Looking for options to terminate sump pump line

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by word2yamutha, Feb 4, 2014.

1. word2yamutha

word2yamutha New Member

I currently have 1.5 " pvc from the sump pump to outside my house. I want to bury my lines, but afraid they will freeze. I plan on going from 1.5" to 4" PVC with a 2" air gap in between them. My main problem is I'm not sure where to terminate the line. I live in a corner lot so my options are limited. I thought about running a 4" line underground the using a pop up emitter to the street. Will the pump have enough pressure to use the pop up emitter?
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The pump pressure will have no effect on the pop-up because the only pressure beyond the air gap is head pressure from the gradient of the pipe. If you cannot achieve at least 1/8" per foot of gradient you will be likely to have a problem with ice. If the pipe is a couple of feet below grade or has snow cover, it is less likely to freeze.
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I interpreted that he would use the 4 inch as a sleeve hoping that the layer of air between the top of the 1-1/2 inch and the 4 inch pipes would serve as insulation.

The pop-up back pressure won't be a problem unless it is iced over.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

That might be what he meant, but it would be a mistake if he did it. The piping must have an air gap and must be able to gravity drain.
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

WHAT???

You are saying that a line from a sump pump to a pop-up in the yard needs an air gap?
  6. word2yamutha

word2yamutha New Member

I was going to do this. Id rater have an airgap just in case a pipe freezes and has a way to exit. Id rather not flood my basement.