Looking For Advice on Waste/Venting for Remodel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Drew Morrison

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a 3rd floor bath remodel. I have plumbed some sinks and a laundry drain, but this the most complex project so far.

This is a second bathroom using the main cast iron 'stack' in our home. I have access to a crawl space overhead (a small one but navigable, it's a Mansard Roof).

The previous owner hired someone who did not ad venting for any of the fixtures. I am confused if they were being lazy, or if they considered the stack to be providing venting for the tub, sink and toilet.

My setup will have a double sink, shower pan and toilet. I am hoping to move the toilet on the other side of the room (it was previously next to the stack). This will land the drain at 6'6" away, using 3" I believe this falls within code as long as the pitch is correct.

Please see attached image for my venting idea, which would involve creating a new 2" vent through the roof.
I have read that it's best to transition to a 3" at the roof, to avoid freezing in winter.

20160521_093018.jpg

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Drew

Drew Morrison

Reaction score
Your first problem is the you CANNOT use the stack from the lower bath as a drain for your new one, since it is the vent for the lower bath.
Hi HJ,

Thanks for your response - are you able to point me in the right direction? I didn't think about the relation between the 2nd and 3rd floor bath sharing that stack. Had thought it was a 'wet vent' situation.

Trying to DIY the right way!

Drew

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet venting is only for bathroom fixtures on the "same" floor.
The vent stack from below would have other vents tied in, and the velocity from above would be a problem below.
Leave the vent alone, and bring up a new waste line for the third floor bath that can tie in "below" the other bath.
An example of stacked bathrooms here.

dwv_b2.jpg

Also on your drawing you showed a backwards wye for the lavs and shower. You can't reverse the direction of the flow.

1.5" trap arm max distance = 42"
2.0" trap arm max distance = 60"
3.0" trap arm max distance = 72"

Last edited:

Drew Morrison

Reaction score
Wet venting is only for bathroom fixtures on the "same" floor.
The vent stack from below would have other vents tied in, and the velocity from above would be a problem below.
Leave the vent alone, and bring up a new waste line for the third floor bath that can tie in "below" the other bath.
An example of stacked bathrooms here. Also on your drawing you showed a backwards wye for the lavs and shower. You can't reverse the direction of the flow.
1.5" trap arm max distance = 42"
2.0" trap arm max distance = 60"
3.0" trap arm max distance = 72"

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the info! I have to rethink the project, but I understand now. Will probably repost a revised drawing.

Drew

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks