Looking for a toilet you can actually plunge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Paper

Reaction score
I have a new Kohler. I hate this toilet with the fiery passion of a million burning suns.

You. Can't. Plunge. This. Toilet. The opening is too large for any available plunger to seal over it.

This toilet was sold to me as one I'd never have to plunge. Yeah, right! It clogs at least once a week. But that's not the problem; the problem is that once it's clogged, it's impossible to plunge!

Rumor has it that "all the toilets have that kind of opening now."

I'm looking for the ones that don't. The ones with normal, ordinary openings that a plunger can actually seal over.

Suggest to me a toilet that clogs every time you use it, I don't care -- just so long as you can actually plunge it when you need to.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't find this forum earlier. You would have learned that Kohler is one of the worst performing toilets on the market. This is not the same quality company our parents and grandparents relied on. OK, now you know it. Why don't you consider a toilet that almost never needs plunging. I have to say almost never because there will always be someone who tried to flush a whole roll to TP at once. Toto toilets are the gold standard of toilet performance. I'd invite you to review the reviews on this forum.

Paper

Reaction score
Oh, I knew. I just couldn't convince...shall we say, the rest of the household...not to go with what the plumber suggested. I even quoted the person on this (or maybe it was another) site who said their plumber admitted he "only recommended a Kohler because no one's heard of a Toto" -- no go. But now that our horrible Kohler both plugged and got its (bizarre cylindrical) flapper caught on the chain at the same time, thus flooding the bathroom and destroying the living room ceiling... Yeah.

But.

Before, I never imagined any toilet designer would be idiotic enough to design a toilet with an opening a plunger could not seal over. Now that I know, I don't care how well a toilet flushes: I want to be 100% CERTAIN that if it does need plunging, you actually can plunge it. And nobody comments on that in the reviews. (Except for those of the Kohler Cimarron...shockingly enough...:mad:)

Can you plunge a Toto?

Because I can clog a Toto. Note my name and this video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM5a5A9qcQU

The other toilets in the house are 13-year-old builder specials. They clog with practically every use...

But I don't care. Because I can actually plunge them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a technique to plunging, and with most of those, if you have a plunger with the collapsable projection, you can plunge it. Note, you don't actually need a seal with the plunger - it actually lets go when you pull up, not push down. I've not used a plunger on my toilets since I got some Totos almost a decade ago. They work.

Paper

Reaction score
I have such a plunger.

It's always been wonderful for the builder specials. I couldn't plunge them with a "normal" (aka sink) plunger; I could with that one.

I can't plunge the Kohler, though. It doesn't seal.

Apparently I wouldn't be able to plunge a Toto either: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?9878-Toto-and-plunger&highlight=plunger

I just deliberately clogged my Kohler with TP. Then I tried plunging it using Terry's technique of making your strokes so gulldern quick the water actually looks like it's vibrating. The clog cleared.

And I fell to the floor screaming in pain. And then I took a Vicodin.

My body just can't handle that extremely quick repetitive motion. The only way I can plunge a toilet is by:
1. Sealing the plunger over the hole; and then
2. Leaning on the plunger.

And all I have is a garden-variety slipped disk! Others have commented that they get out of breath with the "extremely quick short strokes" technique. So there's more than one reason a person might not be able to use that technique...

...which is why toilets should be designed so that plungers can seal over their holes. ;)

And why there should be a thread here for the unusual folks like me (and this wheelchair user who never got any replies) for whom most modern toilets aren't gonna work.

So I'll ask again. Anyone know of a currently available toilet with an old-fashioned hole a plunger can seal over? Anyone? Bueller?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your back condition is indeed unfortunate, but all the more reason why you should have a Toto that will rarely, if ever, require plunging.

Bosun

Reaction score
I've plunged my Ultramax once. That was extreme use by my father. It can handle almost anything "man-made." Buy a nice Toto, throw away the plunger, buy a brush.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
and I have plunged a Toto Soiree and a Toto Ultramax II (once each). Yes, you can plunge a Toto, but you will very, very rarely need to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks