Looking for a good, inexpensive one-piece toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Bammina

Reaction score
We need to replace a builder installed mansfield (134) toilet.
I'm fishing for recommendations.

From my limited knowledge,
I need a brand/model that:

__one-piece
__comes in silver or gray (match bath)
__>/= 2" glazed trap
__a fairly large flush valve
__good bowl-wash and flush
__reliable long wear.
__under 250$ if at all feasible.
(gee....I guess that's what everyone wants ;)

anyone have any strong recommendations?

D

dc_homeplumber

I would venture to say that such a thing doesn't exist in your price range -- at least not new. Occasionally you can find similar on the auction sites (used), but color and model availability is not consistent.

From all research, the Toto Ultramax would be your best selection here but in silver/grey, it's $400+. Their Ultimate and Supreme models are also one-piece and are less expensive, but their flushing capacity is not as highly rated as the Ultramax. Since we're forced to go with 1.6 gallon technology, I would want the strongest flush possible so my money's on the Ultramax. The purchase of plumbing fixtures (especially toilets and faucets) is, to me, no different that any other home appliance purchase. You can buy the base or cheaper models and get by for a time. In most cases, durability, performance and longevity will be sacrificed to save a few bucks up front.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You start out with 3 strikes:

1) one-piece. Always cost much more than 2 piece. You will find almost none available under $250, possibly a bottom of the line Glacier Bay.

2) color. Sometimes you can find a bone or almond color for maybe 10% higher than white. ANY other color will always be at least 50% higher.

3) large flush valve. For most brands, this also by definition is a top-of-the-line model......$$$$$cha-ching!

Bammina

Reaction score
recommendations...

I figgered as much.

You definitely do get what you pay for, but occasionally you get pleasantly surprised by a well-functioning cheapie. I was kinda hoping something like that (as unrealistic as it seems) might occur, and either a pro or D.I.Y.er would know...like an 02 Hyundai or a decent family restaurant --not quite a BMW or Chez Nous, but well-regarded and stable.

A few years back we took a shot on a no-name toilet from a local H.W. store that is now gone. The old geezer that worked there said it worked good, and at 50$ I gave it a whirl.
...had a 2" glazed trap, worked great (occasional multiple flushes, but rare enough that we didn't mind).
I'm always hoping to find that value in the rough though... decent performance and quality at a value price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks