Long waste line vs. low-flow toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

SnapperX1

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the information you provide. Several years ago we purchased a ToTo Drake after reading this site, and have been generally pleased with that purchase......enough so that we are getting ready to install a 2nd in another location. This install will leave me with one final toilet to replace/update. But, before I do this final install, I have a question that really concerns me.

Since the wife does not like the sound of power-assisted toilets, we are left to choose from gravity feeds. There is, however, roughly 13-14 feet of horizontal (pitch unknown) waste line that runs from this last toilet's base, across a 1st floor dining room ceiling, before the waste reaches a vertical drop into the main waste line. Since this layout was designed, 30+ years ago, counting on 5-6 gallons of water to move the solid waste along the length of the line, I am concerned about “creating” a glogging-problem where one doesn't currently exist.

Any ideas overall. Any ideas on brands…..ToTo or otherwise?

Do the UTP (U.S. Toilet Police) confiscate toilets, if you drive them across the boarder from Canada? I haven’t seen my relatives up there for a number of years. Maybe it’s time for a trip.

Steven

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

The only difference between a gravity flush and a power flush toilet is how fast the water gets INTO the drain line. Once it is there, they all operate under the same hydraulic rules.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IOW, once the waste is in the drain lines...it doesn't really matter how it got there if the total flow volume is the same. It's normal for some waste to sit in a long horizontal run. The next flush pushes it further along, along with the new stuff just added. That isn't really a long run. In the building I live in, the horizontal run is probably over 100', and much longer isn't uncommon feeding sewers or septic systems...much worry about nothing. think how far back some houses are from the street where the sewer lines run, then think about the sewers themselves...they don't magically just drop into the depths of the earth...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I get plenty of Canadians coming down to buy Toto toilets from me and sneaking them back into Canada.

The old 3.5's weren't that good.

I also sell USA made Toto Ultramax toilets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks