Long sweep san-t elbow for sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

jimmyt

Reaction score
I have been lurking for a while and have learned a whole lot more than I thought already knew! I have a drain line question - long story short - we had a problem with a toilet seal and it basically leaked and rotted out the sub floor of the upstairs bathroom. i have removed the ceiling drywall and the sub floor and everything is nice and dry and rot free. In the process of the fix, we decided to gut the bathroom, "upgrade" the tub, toilet and vanity as well as add modern tile - all of that caused some drain pipe to move.

As you can see from the pics, (taken from below) I added a 1.5" long sweep san tee to pick up the faucet and tub to then hook into the 2 inch that then wye's into the 3" where it picks up the toilet on its way out. While the tub is not installed yet, I tested the sink drain and it flows well, except for a small amount doesn't make the turn all the way, it heads towards the "future" tub - not much, maybe about a cup or 2 per 2 liters that drains... It doesn't stay there and makes its way down after a few seconds. In fact, I shoved about 1 foot of 1.5" coming out of the T towards the future tub and I think I had about a drop or two make it that far. It appears the fall is good - my question - in hindsight I probably should have used a Wye coming out of the sink (I think I would need a 22.5 to come of the 90 elbow then into the wye) but nonetheless, will this work or should I rip it all out? I also had to shake my head as to why the builder went "upstream" with the sink waste line to only "U" it back into the 3" that leaves the bathroom. Comments welcome!
thanks!
jim

Attachments

• IMG_20150126_191713.jpg
    IMG_20150126_191713.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 589

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should have run 2" for the tub and lav. To wet vent the tub with the lav, the wet portion should be 2"
The tub trap arm and trap can be 1.5"

Perhaps if you had started farther back, you might have elimated the "U"
With out seeing what you had to work with on the other side out of the picture, hard to say.

The combo is similar to a wye and 45. That's okay on the horizontal. The fitting after that should have been a long turn 90 though.

jimmyt

Reaction score
thanks terry.. here is what I started with.. Not sure why the builder ran the lav that way.. although its not the first head scratcher I saw from them in the house. the reason for the change was the the toilet flange moved 4" closer to the tub, that caused it to run into the 1.5.1.5 to 2 wye. Also, the new Archer tub requires the trap and tub fitting to move in 1.5" as well. thoughts?

thanks!

jim

Attachments

• IMG_20150123_152756.jpg
    IMG_20150123_152756.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 501

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Whoever did that must have been buying his fittings real cheap, because he sure liked to use a lot of them. Some plumbers only know how to do a job one way, and they have to get creative in order to do it. But, then, "plumber" may be what he called himself, NOT what he was.

jimmyt

Reaction score
:) I thought the same thing.. Had something similar in the first floor powder room - attached is the pic of before it was finished.. then ended up doing a 90 around it. Then it made two turns to get into the main drain. I have since had it fixed :)

About my changes - am i good with the way it is or should I go 1.5" from tub and keep the original 1.5" lav and dump it into a 2 inch line instead increasing it after the two are together? I suppose I could redo the whole thing to take out the original - but is it worth the effort? For me thats a large job :)

thanks

Attachments

• plumming oops.jpg
    plumming oops.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 478
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks