Long Bathtub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

sieg01

Reaction score
I am building a wood bathtub similiar to this

http://www.driftwood.ie/stan_rect.html

The only problem I have so far is that I need a drain with longer treads to be able to fit through the almost 2 inches bottom of the tub. Do people sell such a thing or will I have to come up with a different solution.

Thanks!
Bryce
r004_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
As a plumber, I can only say that I think it's slightly insane to build a bathtub out of porous materials.

"301.1.1 Approvals. Unless otherwise provided for in this code, all materials, fixtures, or devices used or entering into the construction of plumbing and drainage systems, or parts thereof, shall be submitted to the Administrative Authority for approval and shall conform to approved applicable standards acceptable to the Administrative Authority, and shall be free from defects. All pipe, fittings, traps, fixtures, material, and devices used in a plumbing system shall be listed or labeled by a listing agency or shall be approved by the Administrative Authority when listing or labeling by a listing agency is not available." - UPC

As to your immediate problem, the only way I can see to accomplish what you want is to chamfer space for the waste and overflow.

sieg01

Reaction score
As a plumber, I can only say that I think it's slightly insane to build a bathtub out of porous materials.

Yeah I understand the concern. The whole tub is going to be encapsulated in epoxy. After that it should be as porous as a fiberglass tub.

With the 301.1.1 Approvals... are you saying that the tub since it is a 'device used in a plumbing system' would have to be approved? Or do you mean that any fitting I used for the waste and overflow would have to be UPC approved.

With chamfering, I was thinking along those lines... but it would be cleaner and easier if I didn't have to do that.

Bryce

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could have them made, but the cost would be high. Could be milled out of solid brass, then plated with anything you desire. Or, you could use SS.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Geberit waste and overflow drains are attached with a bolt that screws down from the top. A longer bolt then the standard is available from the manufacturer. Also, countersinking the drain hole is a good idea. It enhances drainage of the tub, since standing water is unsightly and unsanitary.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

One company, I believe is is Kallista, makes a plastic tub with an integral overflow so its base is about the same thickness as yours. Contact a bathroom specialty house and see if they can get their drain for your tub.

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
With the 301.1.1 Approvals... are you saying that the tub since it is a 'device used in a plumbing system' would have to be approved? Or do you mean that any fitting I used for the waste and overflow would have to be UPC approved.

As far as I know...
Unless the fixture is "listed" by an approved listing agency (pre-approved), you would have to get your local plumbing code enforcement agency to issue an approval for it...
In Phoenix that usually involves hiring an engineering firm here and giving them a couple of tubs for testing (and a few thousand dollars for testing as well)... Upon them issuing a report in favor of the tubs, the code department will give you an "approval" for the one-time use of the tub...

UPC 2006:
301.1.1 Approvals. All pipe, pipe fittings,
traps, fixtures, material, and devices used in a
plumbing system shall be listed or labeled
(third-party certified) by a listing agency
(accredited conformity assessment body) and
shall conform to approved applicable recognized
standards referenced in this code, and shall be
free from defects. Unless otherwise provided for
in this code, all materials, fixtures, or devices
used or entering into the construction of
plumbing systems, or parts thereof, shall be
submitted to the Authority Having Jurisdiction
for approval.
301.2 Alternate Materials and Methods of
Construction Equivalency. Nothing in this code is
intended to prevent the use of systems, methods, or
devices of equivalent or superior quality, strength,
fire resistance, effectiveness, durability, and safety
over those prescribed by this code. Technical
documentation shall be submitted to the Authority
Having Jurisdiction to demonstrate equivalency. The
Authority Having Jurisdiction shall approve the
system method or device when determined to be
equivalent or superior.
However, the exercise of this discretionary
approval by the Authority Having Jurisdiction shall
have no effect beyond the jurisdictional boundaries
of said Authority Having Jurisdiction. Any alternate
material or method of construction so approved shall
not be considered as conforming to the requirements
and/or intent of this code for any purpose other than
that granted by the Authority Having Jurisdiction
when the submitted data does not prove equivalency.
301.2.1 Testing. The Authority Having Jurisdiction
shall have the authority to require tests, as
proof of equivalency.
301.2.1.1 Tests shall be made in accordance
with approved standards, by an approved
testing agency at the expense of the applicant.
In the absence of such standards, the
Authority Having Jurisdiction shall have the
authority specify the test procedure.
301.2.1.2 The Authority Having Jurisdiction
shall have the authority to require tests to be
made or repeated if, at any time, there is
reason to believe that any material or device
no longer conforms to the requirements on
which its approval was based.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks