Locations Of Trap Adapters

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
On the internet and in books I see a lot of trap adapters installed directly in a sanitary tee.

Like this:
l_SCP_180_14.jpg

But most of the places I've lived have the trap adapter at the top of the trap itself.

Like this:
img0212b.jpg

Now I can see installing it directly into the T for a pedestal sink, but is it a Canadian / US difference or preference or is there just situations where one installation is better than the other?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A trap adaptor can be used any where a connection is made that at some time in the future you might want to take it apart..it can not go in a wall that is being covered up unless there is going to be an access cover. Over traps are the most common place they are seen...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In many places, you have a choice of running all tubular from the tee. In MA, you cannot have any joints like that before the trap.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I realize you can put it anywhere other than inside a wall, I'm just wondering if it's wiser to use a glue in P trap like in my second picture, or put the adapter right into the T and run a tubular P trap and trap arm...

There's obviously 2 ways of going about it (maybe more?), but I'm just wondering if anyone has a good reason for choosing one over the other?

For example, a lav, inside a vanity?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a personal preference by the installing plumber. I, personally, NEVER use the schedule 40 trap in the second picture, and usually cut them out, and replace them, when I work on a sink that has one.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It is a personal preference by the installing plumber. I, personally, NEVER use the schedule 40 trap in the second picture, and usually cut them out, and replace them, when I work on a sink that has one.

Any particular reason for this or just an old habit?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Good question, but since that large lock nut on the sch. 40 traps has a tendency to "freeze", warp, or crack they often have a limited number of times they can be used for access before they have to be changed anyway. The slip joint traps and piping are just easier to line up without possibly having to make "trim cuts" to get them to fit.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys, I'm always interested in these details, it makes sense to me for serviceability to not go with sch. 40 traps...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks