Location of toilet water supply

Users who are viewing this thread

rat4spd

Reaction score
I'm closing up my bathroom that has been COMPLETELY gutted, but I haven't run the water for the toilet thru the floor yet. The toilet sits on an exterior wall, so thru the wall wasn't an option here in Iowa.

I have a 12" rough for my toilet, but haven't bought it yet. Is there a standard place where to come up thru the floor, or is it easier to mock the toilet and choose a pleasing location?

It's just a matter of stubbing up thru the floor from the valve in the basement, which is no big deal.

Thanks

Dave Ames

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no standard that will work for all toilets unless you move it further to the side than you may want. Take a skirted toilet like some of the Toto brand (and others) - this will require th ewater to be much further offset than say one where there is much more room (and narrower) at th erear. It would be best to select the toilet first, or buy a coring drill bit and drill the hole after the (I assume tile?) is installed, if you have access to it from below.

rat4spd

Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't try to guess it. I'll just wait until the tile is done. Thanks.

Spokaneman

Reaction score
The rough in's are pretty standard, 5 1/2 off center or 7 I think. Almost all brands have a web site that will give you specs. The problem with installing the toilet then drilling the hole is it limits your workspace.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
He wants to put the supply in the floor, so it is very dependent on the shape of the base. To make it look good, it is hard to generalize. Offset in the wall, it is fairly standard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks