Location for whole house water filter

Users who are viewing this thread

jwhearn

Reaction score
Trying to find a location for a whole house water filter/softener that I can install myself. The inlet to the house is tricky because there's a bedroom right on the other side of the wall and I can't put it on the outside of my house there. There's a perfect spot next to my water heater in the garage. Would I be able to intercept the main just behind the water heater, or do they branch off to feed other parts of the house before then. Ideas on where to get a hold of the main line are appreciated. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's really impossible to tell how your pipes are run from remote here on the forum!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually, there are MANY connections before the water line reaches the water heater. Either put it on the line outside before it enters the wall or have a plumber do a major repipe so you can install it by the water heater.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you're asking can't be answered without a physical inspection. Get a plumber to come and evaluate your options.

Reach4

Reaction score
Before selecting a filter, you want to think about what you want this filter to accomplish. I would guess that you are looking to take out sediment.

Normally you would not run the water for outside faucets through the filter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Normally you would not run the water for outside faucets through the filter.

In a retro fit installation that is seldom possible to accomplish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks