little "hot" water

Users who are viewing this thread

blackgoose

Reaction score
i have a 50 gal home depot/ge/rheem electric dual element water heater. a couple of weeks ago, it started putting out warm water, and little of that. i've checked the lower thermostat and the upper element. i've replaced the upper thermostat, the lower element, both heat traps, and the dip tube (which was fine, but i had a new one, so what the heck). the hot water in the kitchen hits 110 tops, with the thermostats set at 140. if i turn off the feed to the water heater for 15 or 20 minutes, i get 140 or 145 degree water at the same tap. pressure relief line is cold and i'm really stuck. any suggestions? thanx, woody in tucson

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of faucet do you have in the kitchen: a one handle faucet or a two handle faucet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some single-handle faucets, once they get some wear on them, enable a cross-connect, and allow cold water to get into the hot line, diluting it. Water takes the path of least resistance.

blackgoose

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a leak and/ or it is cross-flowing with the cold water somewhere.
smooky, thanx for the response. i've looked for leaks, but if there are any, they're under the slab. few basements in tucson. i also considered a cross flow somewhere, but i can't figure out where. nothing's changed since before this problem started. apparently the problem has alleviated itself (God, i hate that) and we're not sure why, but several showers later, and all seems to be back to "normal". i think i'll consider it fixed, unless it starts acting up again. thanx, again, woody in tucson

blackgoose

Reaction score
What kind of faucet do you have in the kitchen: a one handle faucet or a two handle faucet?
we've got a two handle faucet in the kitchen. all seems ok, for some reason, now. thanx for the response, woody in tucson

blackgoose

Reaction score
Some single-handle faucets, once they get some wear on them, enable a cross-connect, and allow cold water to get into the hot line, diluting it. Water takes the path of least resistance.
the kitchen has a two handle faucet, but that's just where i was testing the water temp out of convenience. could one of the showers (both one handled) be causing this? if so, the problem is gone for now (good, i hope). no sinks in baths yet, had a drain problem and are doing a little remodel as a result. thanx for your input, i never realized hot water could be so complicated, woody in tucson

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What brand (and model, if you can tell) single-handle faucets are in the house? Not all of them can fail and allow a cross-over, but some can.

If you have an under-slab leak, this time of year, it's easier to find than in the summer...if you have a cat or dog, they'll probably gravitate to that spot because it will be warm! When there is no water use, check your water meter. It might be moving slowly, so if you can avoid water use for an hour or more, go back and check to see if it has moved. If it has, you might want to start checking around for things that are leaking...could be a toilet, or the hot water supply line. If you've not used hot water for awhile, if you feel the outlet of the WH, and go away along the outlet run...it should be colder as you go away from the WH. IF it is hot for a long distance, you either didn't wait long enough, or there's some flow. You can then try turning off the inlet water, and let it sit...if that then allows the outlet to cool, you know there's a hot water leak somewhere.

In your bare feet, you can often tell where an under-slab, hot water leak is. It would likely be easy to find with an IR camera, and the cost of them has come way down in the last few years...you can get a neat one that plugs into a cellphone or tablet for a bit over $200 now. To get that performance a few years ago, it was in the thousands.

blackgoose

Reaction score
What brand (and model, if you can tell) single-handle faucets are in the house? Not all of them can fail and allow a cross-over, but some can.

If you have an under-slab leak, this time of year, it's easier to find than in the summer...if you have a cat or dog, they'll probably gravitate to that spot because it will be warm! When there is no water use, check your water meter. It might be moving slowly, so if you can avoid water use for an hour or more, go back and check to see if it has moved. If it has, you might want to start checking around for things that are leaking...could be a toilet, or the hot water supply line. If you've not used hot water for awhile, if you feel the outlet of the WH, and go away along the outlet run...it should be colder as you go away from the WH. IF it is hot for a long distance, you either didn't wait long enough, or there's some flow. You can then try turning off the inlet water, and let it sit...if that then allows the outlet to cool, you know there's a hot water leak somewhere.

In your bare feet, you can often tell where an under-slab, hot water leak is. It would likely be easy to find with an IR camera, and the cost of them has come way down in the last few years...you can get a neat one that plugs into a cellphone or tablet for a bit over $200 now. To get that performance a few years ago, it was in the thousands.
thanx, i got out the lazer thermometer and found 82 and up to 90 degree floors right about where the slab was torn up to replace drains & check valves. gotta get that boy back here. thanx, again, be safe, woody in tucson

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It should be pretty easy to tell, if the water is flowing somewhere all the time, the outlet pipe on the water heater will stay hot. If there is no water flowing for an hour or more, the outlet piping from the heater will turn cool.

blackgoose

Reaction score
It should be pretty easy to tell, if the water is flowing somewhere all the time, the outlet pipe on the water heater will stay hot. If there is no water flowing for an hour or more, the outlet piping from the heater will turn cool.
i think i found the area of the leak, but will need help moving furniture. i'll get my son-in-law tomorrow, or the guys that did all the drain work. thanx for the input, be safe, woody

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks