List of newbie plumbing questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

thelemonmaker

Reaction score
Hello.
Building a home which will have a septic system and I'm at the plumbing stage now.

I have these what seem to be simple questions and the research I've done did not bring me to a clear conclussion, so here I am.

1-what type of flashing is best for corrugated metal roof 8/12 pitch, are the rubber boot style with multiple rips sufficient. Round or square base on the flashing, what’s the reason for the different shapes
2-what should be the vent pipe diameter when it penetrates the roof and what should I use for vent pipe size for the following I will have:
-2 toilettes (main floor, basement)
-2 basin sinks (main floor, basement)
-stand up shower (basement)
-tub (main floor)
-laundry sink (basement)
-washer (basement)
-kitchen sink
-dishwasher
3-If using a 3” vent for the toilettes does this pipe size have to remain consistent for the rest of the run?
4-do I need to prevent rain water from coming into the vent pipe that penetrates the roof?
5-where is the best place for the vent pipe to penetrate my metal roof, close to the peak or lower, one reason I ask...should I be concerned of snow slides breaking the PVC pipe, we get lots of snow here, Canada.
6-can you please provide your input for drain pipe diameter for the following:
-2 toilettes
-2 basin sinks
-stand up shower
-tub
-laundry sink
-washer
-kitchen sink
-dishwasher

Thanks in advance
Mike

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
1. Don't know.
2. 3" for what you are listing on a single VTR.
3. Usually toilets are 2" vents, the vent size cannot be decreased in the run.
4. No, rain will drain into the sanitary system, slope vent pipes accordingly.
5. Don't know, I haven't seen snow in 20+ years. :D
6. Toilets - 3" each (and total if that's all that's on the branch)
Basin sinks - 1-1/2" above grade, 2" below grade
Shower - 2"
Tub - 1-1/2" above grade, 2" below grade
Laundry Sink - 1-1/2" above grade, 2" below grade
Washer - 3" to tee, 2" trap
Kitchen sink - 1-1/2" above grade, 2" below grade
Dishwasher - drains to kitchen sink usually.

**These are based on my experience with Florida Plumbing Code which is based on IPC.**

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In cold climates, you may be required to increase the diameter of the vent going through the roof to prevent it closing up with hoar frost in the winter. Keep in mind that water vapor will constantly be in the pipe and with the warm house, will rise to the roof area and could freeze.

Codes vary by location...you really need this answered by a local...generalities for one country may give you a system that would work, but won't pass inspection where you live.

the location of the vent through the roof is also addressed in the code. What you don't want is to have it in a location where it is too low and the fumes blow into a window...you need to consider the normal wind direction and window/door placement, dormers, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

You are trying to get a 2 or 3 year plumbing education in one 3 minute e-mail. Proper sizes are important, but sometimes situations, which we cannot see from your posting, determine the sizes. In addition, we can tell you the probable sizes, but how you actually install the piping will determine whether it is proper and will function long term.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks