Liquid nails for securing flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Just had ceramic tile put down in the bathroom floor this weekend and the tile guy suggested liquid nails instead of drilling through the tile to secure the flange. What's everyones take on this? The flange is a snug fit, I used a 5" hole saw for a 4" flange so it's a perfect fit if it matters.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My totally unprofessional opinion is forget the Liquid Nails and drill through the tile then use screws to hold the flange. It will be interesting to see what the real pros think though.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I have a couple concerns with it as well.

1.) The liquid nails makes the flange uneven after drying.

2.) God forbid the flange ever need replacing and having to wrestle it off the tile without breaking the tile, that stuff is permanent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once the flange is glued onto the pipe, it is essentially permanent, so it doesn't really matter in that respect. Depending on the tile, a glass cutting drill bit, a carbide bit, or diamond core bit might be required to drill. The flange might be uneven if you don't screw it down. I've never tried the bond of that to a floor tile. The pros I've talked to notch the tile before setting them so you don't have to drill through them. It's much easier sometimes to do that in advance.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Just went ahead and drilled them today and set it. I went with a waxless ring and must say I was impressed at how tight that thing was, shouldn't be any issues.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
You,d never get that advice from a plumber . Drill holes with a roto hammer and screw down. How's the liquid nails working out on the new tile job? :D

MG

Reaction score
Just went ahead and drilled them today and set it. I went with a waxless ring and must say I was impressed at how tight that thing was, shouldn't be any issues.

The one time I tried a waxless ring I had nothing but trouble with it. A real bugger to get to seat right, and the opening seems small on them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've had several in for years...keep in mind that the opening is still significantly larger than the trapway of nearly any toilet you can buy.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
You,d never get that advice from a plumber . Drill holes with a roto hammer and screw down. How's the liquid nails working out on the new tile job? :D

You missed my post saying I just screwed it down as usual, no liquid nails for me. :)

The one time I tried a waxless ring I had nothing but trouble with it. A real bugger to get to seat right, and the opening seems small on them.

I have 4" lines so there is no issue with a small opening on the 4" waxless with mine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks