Lip/curb for a shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

netrate

Reaction score
I am in the process of figuring out how to create the curb/lip of the shower.

I haven't purchased the door yet though, not sure if that matters.
Is there a step by step out there for creating a lip? Someone said make it with bricks because it won't rot that way. Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you can use bricks or concrete pavers. What may be more critical, though, is the method of waterproofing it properly. If this is on a wooden subfloor, you can also use 2x material, but concrete pavers or bricks are better over a concrete slab.

Assuming you are building a conventional, liner shower, the liner needs to come over the top of the curb down to the floor and only be fastened on the outer side near the floor, and the cuts need to be sealed with the pvc corners, and then it gets some metal lath installed over it, then covered with mortar. That liner needs to be on top of a preslope on the body of the pan, then a setting bed gets installed on top of that.

My preference, though, is to use a surface membrane. This can simplify the overall construction, and it also means there's MUCH less that can get wet so things dry out faster, too. Check out www.schluter.com and the Kerdi membrane for an example.

There are several industry standard documents that describe how to successfully build a code compliant shower - you should check out the TCNA handbook, which describes the tested, approved, methods.

netrate

Reaction score
It is on a concrete floor.
Right now I purchased some Oately 40 mil pvc liner. 4 feet by 4 feet.

The shower is 32 X 32 inches. The guy at HD told me to get 6 extra inches per side for the liner, so that is what I did. Now, thinking about the lip, I guess I am going to have to buy another 1 X 4 of the stuff and use the adhesive over the lip (hopefully that won't be problem rather than buying a brand new whole piece that is larger. The person helping me with the job was a masonry worker for years, so hopefully we can work with brick.

Is that way the mesh curbs/kirbs ( http://www.kirb-perfect.com ) are only 30 inches in width? Are most shower doors that size?
With the KERDI membrane, do I have to buy the entire kit? Can I just get enough to cover the curb?

netrate

Reaction score
Not there on the pre-slope yet. Still have a hole in the ground!
Also, how do I know if there is enough slope with the existing drain now that I have the floor opened up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks