linux/ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computers and Stuff' started by cwhyu2, Jul 24, 2011.

1. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Is this a good thing,or is it not worth the time to download it?
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Yes it works good, You can run it from a CD or a USB drive.

I think the newest Version is 11.04

I have used it on 32 bit Windows machines. Never tried it on a MAC.

Enjoy.

DonL
  3. DonL

So how did it go ?

Did you do it ?

It is a good OS to know.

At the cost of a blank CD it is easy to test, without hosing your system.

Keep us updated ...
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Have not done it yet to much going on at the moment.
    Will let you know.
    Thanks Don
    Clay
  5. Stephen C

Stephen C New Member

I have been using ubuntu version of linux for years .It is great . It will partion your hard drive . You can chose Windows or Linux when you start up . I use Windows for my scanner and Magic jack and Linux for everything else .It is great for web because there are no viruses . Sometimes you see windows error message and you realize this is a web site pop up attempt to trick you .They never will.
  6. DonL

I like it.

Do you do programming ?

Visual Studio 2010 is making my brain hurt. lol
  7. Stephen C

Stephen C New Member

No , I do not do any programming . I use it for downloading movies . Also use spread sheets for work . It can open and edit excel sheets . Word processor can open and save same formats as microsoft . Good for surfing web . Lots of free software . Think I might look at astronomy .
  8. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

I have been running Debian for years. I will never go back to windows now.
  9. nicho

nicho New Member

It depends your purpose. If you just want to go surfing online, no need to use linux or ubuntu as the windows is convenient. The linux/ubuntu is free in some versons, it can be used as a server.
  10. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I first tried Linux Mint 8 (Ubuntu-based) for a while about fours years ago and was quite impressed. Most recently, however, I am now in the process of installing a Debian-based version of Mint. If anyone still running XP does not want to have to hand away your checkbook in trade for a new computer, take a look at this: http://solydxk.com/

Those are completely-free "rolling versions" (no end within sight) of Linux Mint Debian that are slightly different than mine and are very-well-maintained.
  11. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

I have used Ubuntu for years on an old HP server. I love it and it is very stable (command line version). I also have an old computer with the GUI version on it. It is very good. Most of the programs are free, and will run circles around anything windows offers. It would be a hard choice between my mac and ubuntu though. I would of course option for both. Try it by running it off of the cd and see how you like it.
  12. ogre

ogre New Member

running **most** flavors of linux directly off the cd/dvd generally wont show how speedy linux/bsd is compared to windows.
    maybe a usb3.0 thumb drive would give a better show?

if you're interested in trying out ubuntu or debian [which are both linux] i would advise going to http://unetbootin.sf.net
    linux has some windows compatibility software called 'wine' for more advanced users if you required certain windows-only programs.

the macintosh operating system these days is based off of a cousin of linux called unix.

linux and bsd(unix) both are 'server quality' and can be expected to be extremely stable IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES
    windows is geared more towards consumers and has a higher level of consumer device compatibilty as most **cough** consumer device drivers are created with windows in mind.

THIS ALL HOWEVER,
    is just a matter of my humble opinion.
    :)

i recommend linux to everyone, but to maintain compatibility in my workplace i have to use windows - or at least windows compatible software.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  13. ogre

ogre New Member

linux is in most everything these days: android is linux, some routers and modems run linux and macintosh's these days are unix-based (OSX).

you probably use linux and don't even know it :)
    JasonM likes this.
  14. Taylor Love

Taylor Love Terry's son Staff Member

As far as stability goes, windows or MAC based operating systems would be a bit better. They tell you to make regular backups on Linux for a reason. That being said, it's free, and it is stylish. Once you get past the install, if you are careful, Linux is actually pretty good for a working environment. You can get a compiz add-on that allows you to customize your desktop environment quite heavily. There are plenty of development tools available for the OS... By default I believe it supports multiple virtual desktops. You can bind the desktops to hotkeys like an MMO and quick switch to a different screen. Like CTRL+SHIFT+1 would take you to screen 1 with all of your development windows. Screen 2 would contain IM programs, screen 3 some internet windows, etc. It's also quite stylish. Open Office is available for Linux as well so you will not have to worry about being able to open documents or presentation files.

Both windows 8.1 and Ubuntu boot fairly quickly. I would say Ubuntu is definitely worth a try if you've never used it before.

compiz2.png
  15. Wallijonn

Wallijonn Member

If you have used it before, and you don't like the current incarnation (and the usual gyrations you have to go through to customize window borders, mouse pointers, docks, etc.), you may want to give Extix a try. It has the Mint 16 type of dock (pain to install in Ubuntu) and it is a little easier to customize the window borders, etc. It's three downfalls is the PDF reader (same for most Linux distros) which don't print correctly if it was written in Adobe PDF, setting up network printers will necessitate going to a command line (sudo system-config-printer, iirc) and there is no screen saver. But I like it more than the last 4 Ubuntu versions and the last 3 Mint versions. Gnome3 hid a lot of the customization settings, so it will take a little more work to setup a machine to your liking.

I am a computer technician with 40 years experience. I will not use Windows to purchase anything on line. At work I use XP (now off-line - no internet access), W7 and W8. If I want to buy something on line I will boot up from Linux Live CD on SD card (home) or USB (work). I give all my friends who do on-line banking Linux Live CDs. Tails, Ubuntu, Mint, Extix, Gentoo, BSD, SUSE, RedHat, et. al. - any plain Linux is better than any Windows when it comes to on-line banking and on-line purchases; some secure distos, like Tails, may present problems to the end-server since the packets are scatter routed instead of in a one connection stream. For instance it may not take your credit card and security code. The trick is trying out a few distros until you find one that works flawlessly. You boot up on the CD or USB, start the internet browser, do your banking, close the browser, shutdown the computer (the distro will instruct you to remove the CD and hit the carriage return key; it will then power down the computer.)
    http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...-is-best-for-protecting-your-privacy--1192771
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    JasonM likes this.