Lint will be the undoing of me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimmee66

Reaction score
Hi All!

This may seem like a moronic question but Im quite serious.

I have a real linty headache...with a bunch of kids, dogs, and us (and maybe old clothes and I dunno why else) we generate a lot of lint washing clothes.

No matter what we try, we have alot of problems with clogging of the tub drain and even a few times the main drain.

Im trying to find a better way to deal with that, and I thought plumbers might have a good solution.

I've tried the metal mesh hose screens, the plastic cone inserts for the tub drain, and several other approaches with little success. Basically I've tried everything I can find at ordinary Home Despot/hardware etc. stores

Is there a *plumbing* solution to the problem? I'm reminded of the grease trap at the restaurant I used to work at (yuk)--maybe some sort of "setling tank" like that. Or some better drain filter Ive not heard of?

Its a little serious because our main drain is 92 years old, and intolerant of any insults, and we've had lint clogs before. If we had trouble and that line (camera inspected and described to me as "fragile")--well, the next snaking could be the last for the line.

Any ideas would be genuinely appreciated...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If snaking the line is going to break the pipe you should be planning on replacing the line anyway because you are on borrowed time.

As far as lint goes, that is what drains are for. If the lint catchers aren't enough you have other problems. There are enzime drain openers that will work on lint and so will old fashoned lye, even undiluted bleach will do a number on lint just like it does on clothes.

Jrejre

Reaction score
If you drain hose goes into a wash tub, just take a panty hose leg and slip it over the drain hose. I use a rubber binder to hold it. Leave it pretty loose - maybe 6-12 inches loose after the end of the hose.

Cheap, effective, easy to replace.

The other option, which I have also just started using is a Filtrol 160. You can do a web search and find various sources. Same principle. Can the fibers before the drain.

Zimmee66

Reaction score
Filtrol 160 is the ticket!

The filtrol is a bit spendy, but it is exactly the solution I'm looking for--thank for the tip!

I know Im living on borrowed time with my drains, even so every auguring (and risk of damage to 100 yr old lines) we can avoid is another day without spending big bucks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks