Liner for 2 1/2" PVC Drain Pipe??

Users who are viewing this thread

StrongEagle

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2 inch PVC drain pipe which drains my washer. As you can see from the photo, this pipe exits the side of the house and drops through my driveway (which was installed after the drain was put in).

My problem is that as a result of the drought in Houston, my driveway has shifted just enough to have caused a crack under the concrete somewhere between just under the concrete but before the "T" that connects the drain pipe to the horizontal pipe that leads to the main sewer.

As a result, when the washer drains, water seeps up between the slab and the driveway... not a lot... but obviously a leak.

I'd rather not break up my driveway to repair a small section of PVC drain. Is there any kind of sleeve or liner that I could insert into this drain to seal the leak? Something along the lines of the liners used by municipalities to stretch the life of aging sewers?

TIA drain.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Knowing where the pipe is located is very useful, as we would then make a couple of nice clean saw cuts to trench across the driveway. This makes for a quick and clean repair for the concrete guys, and minimal inconvenience for the customer.

StrongEagle

Reaction score
The horizontal drain pipe runs parallel to the house wall. From the photo: Drops down about 8 to 10 inches, then has a 45 degree bend outwards from the wall. Connects to a T that then flows toward main city sewer. There would be no need to cut across the driveway. Your suggestion is useful, however, because it does mean that if there are not alternative solutions, I should be able to cut a 1 foot square around the pipe and accomplish the fix. Thanks for your answer.

Houptee

Reaction score
If you use a 1/2" or smaller masonry drill bit you can mark out a larger circle around the pipe drill holes on the marks then chisel it away neatly to see how deep the crack is.

If its not too deep cut the pipe with a harbor freight tools oscillating saw with half moon blade flush with the cement http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...cillating-multifunction-power-tool-60428.html

You will have to remove the tee also since its gonna be in the way whats on other side of the wall can you cut it inside the house and couple it back easy?

Then get the internal saw bit they sell for drills/dremels then you can cut it off deeper internally from looking down into the top of the pipe http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-hss-saw-blade-with-mandrel-set-67224.html.

Glue a new coupling on the piece in the ground first, then sleeve it with a piece of 3" PVC pipe to protect it, then glue the tee back on.

Or use a fernco rubber coupling on the outside if you don't want to remove the tee, but cut the pipe just below the tee leaving enough pipe to still be able to attach the fernco back to it. A fernco can be slid down onto the repaired pipe till you fit it in there then slide it back up to the tee and tighten the clamps.

If it works fill in around the pipe with some pea gravel so if slab shifts again no stress on the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks