Line between house and septic tank sinking

Users who are viewing this thread

gcrawdad

Reaction score
Hi all,
Pictured is the inlet to the tank. It slopes down for about one foot before it straightens out heading to the inspection port in the patio, about 15 feet away. I don't see any problems at the inspection port and I've uncovered about 4 feet of the line and see no leaks. And I just jetted the line and an awful amount of gunk came out, mostly white/yellow gobs of I suppose oil/grease/who knows. I suppose this stuff is just settling in there and coagulates. Amazing we didn't have a backup. Is there any chance I can correct the pipe without going under the patio?
IMG_0416.JPG

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may have only sagged down at the bend. I would dig from the tank back to the patio and see if it could be cut out and replaced at the proper slope. ....How much space is there from where the pipes enters the tank to the surface of the liquid?

gcrawdad

Reaction score
It may have only sagged down at the bend. I would dig from the tank back to the patio and see if it could be cut out and replaced at the proper slope. ....How much space is there from where the pipes enters the tank to the surface of the liquid?
I just got the tank pumped out but before there was about 3". And thanks for the idea of cutting out the part of the pipe that went awry. Hadn't thought of that. I'll also mention that the outlet slopes downward too. It hasn't been dug out yet; I didn't think it was as important as the inlet. I noticed it when I put an outlet tee on it which sits at about a 20 degree angle or so.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
2-3 inches is normal. If it was much more than that I was thinking you could make up some of the slope there, but I guess not.

gcrawdad

Reaction score
I wonder if it's common for the line to sink that much. I don't see how it can without something twisting off or cracking. Hoping it all starts where the patio ends is likely wild optimism. But, I'll keep digging.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the inlet port on the tank is HIGHER than the pipe under the patio, you may NEVER be able to correct it without lowering the septic tank. If by "the outlet pipe slopes downward also" you mean it is lower than the opening in the tank, then that is okay, but if it is also higher than the opening, you are looking at a completely new septic system.

gcrawdad

Reaction score
Good points. I'll have to measure. The outlet pipe angles downward as it exits the tank so that the tee I attached on the inside is a bit off vertical. But at least the effluent goes out the tank as it should. Just concerned that the pipe may sink further. My understanding is that both pipes should be sitting in the tank horizontal. Everything seems to be working ok as far as the inlet. Once the tank fills, I'll know more about the outlet.

Last edited:

gcrawdad

Reaction score
So from the top of the inspection port to the bottom of the pipe is 22". From ground level to the bottom of the inlet pipe at the tank is 28" so it appears there is room for adjustment with the drop to the tank being around 6". Ground level and top of inspection port are about even. If anything, the ground is a bit higher. If I dig up to the patio, I hope to be able to cut the pipe, as Smooky suggested, and reset to the proper slope.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everything might have been sloped correctly untill it was inspected. Then when they covered it up a big bucket of dirt could have bent down the bend. Sometimes they get careless when no one is looking. If that is what happened it will be an easy fix. Hope for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks