Limited Space

Users who are viewing this thread

LV76

Reaction score
I have a garage / workshop that has a small bathroom where I need to replace the existing 20year old toilet, but am limited in space between the front of the bowl and the wall. The existing toilet is a round bowl with dimensions from the flange bolts to the front of the bowl are 12.5" and the toilet is a 12" rough in but a 14" rough in can be installed, the max. I can fit is 14" from flange bolts to front of bowl. I would like a Toto because of the flush ratings seem to be the best, but not all spec sheets on the toto site note the measurements between the flange bolts and the front of the bowl. Any recomendations?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The proper way to measure a rough-in is from the center of the flange to the wall behind the toilet. The standard is 12". to accommodate things a little better, some toilets are also made in 10 and 14" rough-ins. The rough-in has nothing to do with the length of the toilet, only the distance behind the flange to the wall.

So, even if the spec sheet doesn't show the distance to the front from the mounting bolts, it's fairly easy. Take the overall length of the toilet, subtract the rough-in and add back in the space behind the toilet. If your rough-in isn't exactly 10, 12, or 14", then you'd have to adjust for that as well.

Really, it just easier to measure your rough-in, and then compare the total length plus the designed in space behind to the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the '"old days" a 14" toilet was the same dimension as a 12", but the opening was moved forward 2". Now, most companies use a 12" bowl and attach a tank which is 2" deeper, so a 14" toilet WILL project 2" further into the room than a 12", unless you can find a "true" 14" toilet which is 25" front to back.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto makes the Unifit adapters for several of their toilet models that allow the same toilet to fit a 10", 12", or 14" rough-in just by using the appropriate adapter. The result is the toilet fits perfectly on any of the rough-ins. You can find these in the Shopping for Toto section linked from the "Toilet Review" at the top of this page. Toto is the only manufacture that makes such and adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks