Limit Switches - please help me understand this

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

DonL

Reaction score
You do not want to be changing them adjustments. Unless you have the proper measurement tools.

Did you or the installer adjust them ?

All you should do is set the Dip Switches, and make sure your Thermostat is wired and setup correctly.

Can you take a better/focused picture of the Dip switches ? And post them here ?

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I have not had time to look at all you have there.

You do not adjust the limit controls to compensate for other problems.

The Limit switches are safety devices. And should not be changed by a end user. Period.

You need someone with the proper tools. And a screwdriver is not the proper tool.

You need to find the real problem. And it is not the Limit, unless it was jacked with. It is working like it should. You have other problems.

Sorry I sound like a Ass but I do not want you to blow yourself up.

Last edited:

BlondeInDisguise

Reaction score
CFM%2BCHART.jpg

I see my model -0453*B*X - but not sure what the chart is telling me. Can anyone please explain this ?

DonL

Reaction score
It is telling you what Fan speed and air flow you need for the system to work properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've rebuilt engines by reading a book, but I'm a little lost when it comes to circuit boards. DonL did wiring on the NASA space shuttle. I think he's doing his best to help.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the thing. If I was there I could most likely diagnose your problem in about five minutes but I'm not and honestly, it could be any one of about a dozen things, most of which require that you understand control circuitry and how to use a multimeter properly. I'm nothing special either. Any competent service tech can fix you up in short order but, for your description I suspect that you are less than thrilled to pay someone for their knowledge and skills. The other thing that may come back to bite you on the ass is that your side-job, fly by night installer may have screwed the pooch to the point where it's going to cost you more than you saved to straighten the mess out. AA

BlondeInDisguise

Reaction score
Here's the thing. If I was there I could most likely diagnose your problem in about five minutes but I'm not and honestly, it could be any one of about a dozen things, most of which require that you understand control circuitry and how to use a multimeter properly. I'm nothing special either. Any competent service tech can fix you up in short order but, for your description I suspect that you are less than thrilled to pay someone for their knowledge and skills. The other thing that may come back to bite you on the ass is that your side-job, fly by night installer may have screwed the pooch to the point where it's going to cost you more than you saved to straighten the mess out. AA

I don't know why you think I don't want to pay someone, b/c if you notice I am paying someone to come out tomorrow, so that's not true. However, you are correct that IF I can fix something myself, I will hang onto my hard earned money, which I don't have an endless supply of, and that applies to ANYTHING not just HVAC work. It used to be that most everyone did things that way, they grew their own food, changed their own oil, and well, you get the point. When I got quotes for 12k-13k to install a new system in my tiny little 1000sq ft home, and I could not afford it, and my 3 yr old and 5 yr old freeze at night in the winter and sweat all day in the summer, you're right - I found someone to do it for less - a LOT less. Even if I paid the repair man $6k I'd still break even with that original quote, so I highly doubt I will ever spend more than if I had gone through one of those companies. Regardless of all of that, it should not matter how I had to have my system installed, the point is that I have a repair issue, I went on a repair forum, and asked for help. I didn't realize it was a page where I sign up to have you come over and fix it for me, for money. If you don't like offering advice and help to people, why be on the site, just to give people hell for not calling a repair man every chance they get?

I should add that if I already did pay someone to come over and install a system and I'm having problems with it, why on earth would I immediately want to pay someone else? It seems to me I've had a lot of incompetent help in HVAC and mechanics, and other fields, so it doesn't hurt to use my brain and look into issues on my own, rather than throwing my money blindly at problems, and hoping someone fixes it correctly eventually. I can bet you've paid someone to do something before and had them do it incorrectly and I'll bet the next time you may have looked into the issue before hand and done research to try to protect yourself. I can't tell you how many reviews I've read from people that have "had 4 techs out and no one figured it out until Joe Schmoe came over". Sorry, but I don't have a money tree, and I can't pay ten people to come look at something. I am fairly intelligent though, and willing to put some work in to protect my investment - whether or not you (or I) like the way I had to buy it in the first place.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks