Lightning Strike, no water

Users who are viewing this thread

dogcomp

Reaction score
Got home yesterday, used water to feed the dogs etc., and then gradually there was no water. Several breakers were flipped. outlets not working, etc. Think it was a lightning strike - we've had them before. Read several of your threads about a lever on the pressure pump's pressure switch, but mine does not have the lever. The pressure tank is currently at almost zero. Was going to drain the pressure tank and add pressure at the valve at the top. But then we noticed that our Pumptec 5800020116 had a piece on the left side that was blown apart & charred with char streaks on the cinderblock wall behind it. However, the power light on the Pumptec box shows it is getting power and the trip light is not lit. Should we go ahead with trying to reset the pressure on the pressure tank?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
But then we noticed that our Pumptec 5800020116 had a piece on the left side that was blown apart & charred with char streaks on the cinderblock wall behind it.
I think you found your smoking gun.
Should we go ahead with trying to reset the pressure on the pressure tank?
If you know what the pressure switch settings are then it won't hurt to check/adjust the precharge but it won't fix your blown Pumptec.

dogcomp

Reaction score
Will the blown Pumptec (which shows a green power light) keep the pump from pumping? My pump is several hundred feet down the well so i can't tell if it is running. Just wonder if there is any point in doing this.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
By pass the pump Tek entirely and see what happens. There might be a wiring schematic in the Pump Tek box or you can find one on Franklin electrics web site

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Around here, lighting strike claims are normally covered by home insurance. You should check on it before you do anything else.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Many times when you find where the lightning came out, it won’t have gone any further and your pump will be OK. You just need to bypass or replace the parts that smoked. But it is also possible to smoke the controls and smoke the motor at the same time. You just won’t know until you try a new box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks