Lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Cookie, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Cookie

Cookie .

I got a question here about a ceiling light fixture in my son's room. Whenever, I put a light bulb in it, it blows it out immediately. It is a 3 light bulb fixture. I am using the right light bulb and the right walts, is there a possible short in the fixture or maybe, a short in the wiring? Is their a way for me to tell? My husband put this fixture in about 12 years ago. Thanks. Cookie
  2. HandyAndy

HandyAndy General Contractor, Farmer

my guess is it is over voltage some how.
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

my guess is it is over voltage as someone else has said
  4. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

If you can loosen the fixture and measure the voltage on the wires that would help. You can do it directly through the light socket but a little slip makes big sparks. You could also go to the switch that controls it but that may not be conclusive if there is a wiring error where you don't see it.

See if anything else in on that circuit. If you trip that breaker you can then check other things to see if they are off. If there is other stuff and it is OK you have narrowed down where you will have to look.

Maybe somewhere in this circuit a hot from the other side of the panel got used instead of neutral. That would give you 240 V.
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

Me do that? lol. Nope, lol. But, I did buy a new fixture just in case it is that. It probably is the fixture don't you think? ( I don't look good like this)
    [​IMG]

Nothing else was added on the circuit, nothing different. But, above my son's room is the attic.
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

If you can find a 240V rated bulb, try that to see if it blows, Cookie. :)
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A loose connection in the lamp or lamp holder that allowed the connection to make and break with vibrations can foil the bulb, but not immediatly when installed.
  8. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

It is possible that you have a multiwire branch circuit that has a loose or missing neutral. That can be bad for anything on the circuit, such as an expensive appliance. You need to call an electrician friend to check it out while enjoying a beer, or maybe even dinner.
  9. Cookie

Cookie .

I called the Protection Services I have thru my gas company. They are really great. He should be here tomorrow. I will let you all know what he said. Thanks for your help.:)
  10. Cookie

Cookie .

The electrician came today and showed me the wiring going to the fixture needed to be fixed and the fixture needed to be replaced because it charred the wire in the socket. So, everything is now working fine. What a nice man.
  11. RRW

RRW New Member

could you be a little more specific as the the defects??
  12. Cookie

Cookie .

The wiring inside one of the sockets was charred. Not much more to say. He said some heat got to it. It is fine now, thankfully all taken care of. Whenever, I would put a bulb in it, right watts and size, it would immediately blow. The wiring going to the fixture he also fixed. He did say what kind of wiring it was, said he saw older and worse, he said it is fine. It is working fine. Thank you.
  13. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A corroded connection can act sort of like a loose one, sort of like turning the switch on and off quickly (light bulbs almost always fail up turn on - the shock fractures the filament).
  14. Cookie

Cookie .

I know he fixed whatever was wrong. He was here before for the bathroom ceiling heating lamps and lights, the kitchen ceiling light, which then, was shooting sparks across the ceiling like the 4th of July a couple of years ago, and several outlets. I would say, I am his best customer. :)
  15. Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle New Member

It sounds like you have a very nice contractor and have built a good relationship with them.
  16. Cookie

Cookie .

Well, I have had my share of service people with not only questionable, professional skills but a few whom were horrible, transparent, nasty, argumentative, people with rotten attitudes, smart arse's. The electrician mentioned here is not only very knowledgeable but also, normal, very normal, which is great. Which is all anyone, any customer wants.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  17. Cookie

Cookie .

I am sorry Bald Eagle, I am sitting here laughing at my post~~
    I am alittle grumpy this morning. Not you Grumpy, lol.

Here is a nice picture for you:
    [​IMG]
  18. Cass

Cass Plumber

That Bald Eagle kinda looks like a parrot sitting there :D.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  19. Cookie

Cookie .

No no, here is a parrot:

[​IMG] see the difference? :D