lighting needs

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by taiwantim, Nov 14, 2009.

1. taiwantim

taiwantim New Member

I'm doing up a room in my basement that is 13 by 17 (221 square feet.) I have 6 recessed lights, each has a 50watt bulb. Will I have enough lighting if I just install 4 of the lights (200watts) for a room that size?
  2. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

how many lux you want, how far below the ceiling?

Floodlights or spots?

resi. living room 50 lux
    resi. toilets, hallways, 80 to 100
    School classrooms, Kitchen work areas, office lighting 300 to 500
    Garment manufacture - sewing, Supermarket 750
    Instrument assembly 1500

A 50w halogen flood might give you 1100 lux in a 4' dia. circle 5' below the ceiling.

To check your existing light levels you need a camera
    With ISO 100 speed film, an Exposure Value (EV) of 6 equals 160 lux, 7 = 320, 8 = 640.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Yes for code compliance, no if you like lots of light. Go LED
  4. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

LED's are still expen$ive :(
    I keep looking but at $20-30 a bulb I'll stick with free CFL's (after instant coupon)

If unfinished area (open ceiling)
    I connected a couple recessed cans with power cords & then plugged them in to see how the area would look
    I used 6" cans so that I can use any bulb I want
    If you are going with the MR16 fixtures I would not do it