Light in a shower?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ingeborgdot, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

What special things does a person need for a light in a shower?
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A wet rated fixture...
  3. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

What do you consider a wet rated fixture? The inner housing or the light cover?
    I have the halo H7ICAT with the 172PS outer fixture.
  4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

You actually only need a damp located fixture, wet location only if subject to shower spray... Sooo, if you want a recess fixture, find a trim that you like that is listed as a damp location....
  5. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

I will be putting the light on my rear wall facing the shower spray so the shower spray will be hitting it directly.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  6. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Then you will require a WET location fixture... so make sure it is listed as such.

This is a typical wet location fixture... good luck finding something you like. :D

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. Cookie

Cookie .

8. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

That really was a joke to see what everyone would say.
  9. Cookie

Cookie .

Well, you do know that people with low vision do put lights in their showers.
  10. Cass

Cass Plumber

theseplaced around your head work well, and you can't get shocked :)

[​IMG]
  11. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

I will have a light in the shower but not on the wall. It will be up in the ceiling and no water should hit the light. If it does my light fixture after looking carefully is wet location rated.
  12. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

I have a question about the light fixture that I have chosen to put into the ceiling of the shower. It is made by Halo and it is the 172PS model. It is wet rated. No instructions came with it and I am not for sure how it goes in. It looks like it has a place for the clips that are in the upper part of the housing and two spring loaded clamps that looks like you squeeze together and insert and the tension keeps it up. I am not sure. Does anyone know the proper procedure? I hate to sound so stupid but I have never used one of these before.
    Do I remove the ceramic light socket from the housing parts that are holding it and remove the adjustable holder that comes with the housing? Then do I slide the spring loads up into the light housing? Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.
  13. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

I figured it out.
  14. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Musta been easy... It only took ya a couple of hours. LOL
  15. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

I just hadn't had a real chance to look it over. It took me a couple of minutes actually after looking at the fixture.
  16. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

17. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot New Member

By the way where did you find these? I really do need a pair.
  18. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most any sporting goods store will have various headband lights. REI, EMS both have websites. www.rei.com (recreational equipment supply) www.ems.com (eastern mountain sports). Both of those have limited retail locations...there might be one near you.