Light fixture for above a bathroom shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveb7AZ

Reaction score
I'm laying the groundwork for the remodel of my master bath and have hit a small speed bump. I found this forum while researching Toto Neorest and Panasonic which are planned for my new bathroom.

Currently there is a surface mount fixture above the shower which I want to replace. Ideally I wanted to install a 6" recessed can with a Cree LR6 LED light. However, I'm told by my local Cree dealer that these are not suitable for above a shower. What options are available for lighting fixtures on an 9' ceiling?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, a can can be used in a damp location IF it has a wet-rated trim/cover. The option sheet/spec sheet will show you for sure - note, the same can may only be used in damp locations when installed with certain trims. If this is in a ceiling that goes to the attic, you'd also want a can rated at AT (air tight) and probably IC (insulation contact).

Alyssa

Reaction score
Website
www.qualitybath.com
You can check out rainshower heads or chandelier shower heads- theses are really beatiful chandeliers over the shower that work as a shower head too! Very chic look!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The CREE LR6 is an R30 replacement, but it requires convection cooling to keep the LED within temp. A sealed trim approach would almost certainly cause color & luminosity drift, and cut it's anticipated lifespan by an order of magnitude (or more.)

Standard recessed cans designed for incandescent bulbs are designed to limit heat transfer between the bulb & the structural wood supporting the fixture (to limit fire hazards). Incandescents put out 5-8x the heat of an "equivalent" LED, but aren't affected by heating building up in the bulb. A well designed LED-specific fixture would be designed to pull as much heat out of the LED and distribute it elsewhere. As a retrofit-bulb, the LR6 has it's own heat sinking designed in, but relies on convection to keep the temp within spec.

Steveb7AZ

Reaction score
Dana - I believe that is exactly the problem. Since the Cree appears to be out, are there any alternatives to it? My first choice would be LED, but if that technology is not yet suited for over the shower what would be my next best choice?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Dana - I believe that is exactly the problem. Since the Cree appears to be out, are there any alternatives to it? My first choice would be LED, but if that technology is not yet suited for over the shower what would be my next best choice?
SolaTube with an artificial light source?
Fiber optics, with the light source some distance away?
Forced air cooling?

50 to 80 lux should be enough light.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score

In a shower, 2700K for SURE!

4100K is easier on the eye for reading, but isn't so good for skin-tones. It was the standard color temp for office lighting for decades, but they're finding people look & feel better with 3500K for the ambient lighting in offices. Food & skin look much better at 2700-3000K.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks