Light fixture above the shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Dexter, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter New Member

Well after installed the motion activated light control. It won't detect the motion when we're in the shower because we have the sliding shower doors :( If we need the light to be on we have to open and close the door. I plan to install a light above the ceiling in the bath tub. But wonder what kind of fixture is acceptabled. If you would, show me some photos would help a lot.

Thanks so much guys
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A fixture over the shower has to be wet location listed. Basically, it will have a gasketed lens cover. Halo, and other, make such fixtures.
  3. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Ha ha. I have had that experience with motion sensors as well.

You have two options there. Replace with an ordinary switch, or extend the "on" time (they are adjustable).

Alternatively, my work has some nifty motion sensors for office lighting. They are ceiling mounted and very sensitive to the smallest movement. I wonder if a commercial solution could be found?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Actually, it only has to be rated for a damp location unless subject to shower spray. ;)
  5. ryan82

ryan82 New Member

As an electrician we use the Lithonia L3 cans and the Bathroom trim (I can not recall the name) as the previous person said, it should be rated for a damp location.
  6. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

Yup- sometimes you have to unscrew the cover to do it.