Light And Fan Switch In Bath

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am confused (as usual).

If one puts these mentioned switches at the sink (entry door opening), does that circuit(s) need to be GFCI protected (I believe the fan cannot be on a GFIC), or are they even allowed to be placed this close to water?

Gary

KULTULZ

Reaction score
As long as the fan is not IN the tub or shower area it does not need GFI protection.

Thank You!

So I suppose the logic is there is greater chance of shock if one touches a light/fan while standing in water vs. touching a switch at the sink?

I have noticed this also in the kitchen whereas the disposal switch can be operated while standing at the sink.

Is it permissable (code allowance) to mount a track light fixture near the shower as this is a condo with fire rated ceiling and a major pain to run electric? The lamp would be outside of the tub area (@ approx. seven feight H) but could be touched by someone in the shower if he reached outside of the shower area. If allowed, I suppose it would have to GFIC protected?

Gary

feight?

Where in the world did I go to school?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly functioning switch is well isolated...it's all plastic, and the parts you can touch are rated to insulate to well over the voltage they are controlling. Now, you wouldn't want that switch to be sprayed with water...it'd still be safe to touch, but you might mess up the insides. If the switch was broken, maybe it could expose you, but that is doubtful.

I think someone said open fixtures like the track lighting need to be something like 3' away from the wet area...wait for one of the pros that knows.

solutions

Reaction score
The location of a GFCI brings up a thought for me in general. At my friends house they had some mega remodel work done a while ago. Contractor,sub for this sub for that and all... Their job was just writing checks on Friday...lol. Anyway, there bathroom that was remodeled has a GFCI receptacle located on a side wall just above and in front of the back splash area a few inches seems that is within water spray or splash. Should GFCI's even be located near a sink?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Anyway, there bathroom that was remodeled has a GFCI receptacle located on a side wall just above and in front of the back splash area a few inches seems that is within water spray or splash. Should GFCI's even be located near a sink?

sure why not?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Is it permissable (code allowance) to mount a track light fixture near the shower as this is a condo with fire rated ceiling and a major pain to run electric? The lamp would be outside of the tub area (@ approx. seven feight H) but could be touched by someone in the shower if he reached outside of the shower area. If allowed, I suppose it would have to GFIC protected?

Gary

410.4(D).jpg
here ya go.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
...here ya go.

And you Sir are a good man. Thank You!

So the only type of lamp allowed will be a recessed overhead shower/bath specific lamp? Does this need to be on a GFCI circuit?

Gary

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
No, it can be any wet location rated fixture that is fixed mounted.

GFI protection is not required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks