Light And Fan Switch In Bath

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by KULTULZ, Mar 25, 2008.

1. KULTULZ

KULTULZ Jack of all trades, Master of none

Gentlemen,

I am confused (as usual).

If one puts these mentioned switches at the sink (entry door opening), does that circuit(s) need to be GFCI protected (I believe the fan cannot be on a GFIC), or are they even allowed to be placed this close to water?

Gary
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

As long as the fan is not IN the tub or shower area it does not need GFI protection.
  3. KULTULZ

Thank You!

So I suppose the logic is there is greater chance of shock if one touches a light/fan while standing in water vs. touching a switch at the sink?

I have noticed this also in the kitchen whereas the disposal switch can be operated while standing at the sink.

Is it permissable (code allowance) to mount a track light fixture near the shower as this is a condo with fire rated ceiling and a major pain to run electric? The lamp would be outside of the tub area (@ approx. seven feight H) but could be touched by someone in the shower if he reached outside of the shower area. If allowed, I suppose it would have to GFIC protected?

Gary

feight?

Where in the world did I go to school?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A properly functioning switch is well isolated...it's all plastic, and the parts you can touch are rated to insulate to well over the voltage they are controlling. Now, you wouldn't want that switch to be sprayed with water...it'd still be safe to touch, but you might mess up the insides. If the switch was broken, maybe it could expose you, but that is doubtful.

I think someone said open fixtures like the track lighting need to be something like 3' away from the wet area...wait for one of the pros that knows.
  5. KULTULZ

Thank You for your response and explanation. It makes perfect sense now...
  6. solutions

solutions New Member

The location of a GFCI brings up a thought for me in general. At my friends house they had some mega remodel work done a while ago. Contractor,sub for this sub for that and all... Their job was just writing checks on Friday...lol. Anyway, there bathroom that was remodeled has a GFCI receptacle located on a side wall just above and in front of the back splash area a few inches seems that is within water spray or splash. Should GFCI's even be located near a sink?
  7. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

sure why not?
  8. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

410.4(D).jpg
    here ya go.
  9. KULTULZ

And you Sir are a good man. Thank You!

So the only type of lamp allowed will be a recessed overhead shower/bath specific lamp? Does this need to be on a GFCI circuit?

Gary
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  10. Speedy Petey

No, it can be any wet location rated fixture that is fixed mounted.

GFI protection is not required.
  11. KULTULZ

That answered that!

You are a gentleman and a scholar sir...

Thank You!

Gary
  12. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Actually damp location is allowed, only wet location when subject to shower spray... I know, I know, water ends up everywhere... :D
  13. Speedy Petey

I know, but I pretty much always consider it wet unless it is a true "tub only".