lift bucket style drain won't stay closed

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by trex604, Apr 27, 2005.

1. trex604

trex604 New Member

Our bathtub drain won't stay open suddenly and you can watch the lever slowly come up and close the drain. What could be going on? I found the diagram online and can't see any reason for it to suddenly start closing. How do I correct it? Thank you.

Dave
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

The faceplate and lever are worn out. Get a new one and connect it to the mechanism inside the drain.
  3. trex604

trex604 New Member

Thank you for the input. I went out and got one and will attempt to put it in over the weekend. Never worked on the tub mechanism before so this is a first.

Dave
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Remove the two screws. Pull the mechanism out. Remove the small brass cotter key. Throw the old plate away. Connect mechanism to the new plate with the brass cotter key. Reinstall and tighten the two screws.
  5. trex604

trex604 New Member

mission accomplished

Thanks again for your advice. Everything went very well and I didn't let the rod slip back down while changing the lever. Now I know something else for the future. This is a great forum.