lift and turn drain removal

Users who are viewing this thread

missfixit

Reaction score
I have a lift and turn drain in my bathtub. I do not see or feel any set screw, so I removed the knob by turning it counter-clockwise, but all that's underneath is a flat peg of some kind--not a screw. How do I remove the top part of the drain so that I can clear out the gunk from the drain?

I've attached a (rather blurry) photo of what it looks like.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,624

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Put the knob back on and pull the assembly as high as it will go...then look under it for the set screw...

missfixit

Reaction score
I looked with a flashlight and felt all around the center with my pinkie (good thing I have small fingers!), and there is no screw. I did see that it's a Watco and did some more googling, and it appears that others have had the exact same problem I am but were unable to get an answer. I might try contacting the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I looked with a flashlight and felt all around the center with my pinkie (good thing I have small fingers!), and there is no screw. I did see that it's a Watco and did some more googling, and it appears that others have had the exact same problem I am but were unable to get an answer. I might try contacting the manufacturer.

Dear Missfixit,
You may get in touch with Eaglemountain Products at:

1-800-308-0864

By Fax

Fax:
1-800-765-4115

By Email

sales@eaglemountainproducts.com

Their website, which shows many of the drains they make, is at:
https://www.buywcm.com/egl/products/products.asp?d=wtc

Regards,
HE

missfixit

Reaction score
UPDATE: I contacted Watco's sales department, and as it turns out, well--it literally turns out. After you remove the top knob you just need to take a wrench and turn the entire brass pin counterclockwise then lift the whole assembly out. It was in there pretty tight but twisted out.

A disgusting bunch of hair, gunk, and even one of my daughter's necklaces was bunched up around the T section, so no wonder I was having drainage issues. I have a clean drain now!!! I don't think I'm going to bother putting it back in and am going to use a good old-fashioned rubber stopper along with a hair stopper.

watco-901-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks