Levelling a tub with 5 legs

Users who are viewing this thread

trevorn

Reaction score
Hello all!

I bought a Mirolin Sydney bathtub. It has 5 wooden legs underneath, and is an alcove model with an apron and tiling flange.

Manufacturer instructions say to use hardwood shims and/or trim the legs to level the bath on an uneven floor. I tried using shims, which puts the apron off the ground by the time it becomes level, which makes the bathtub unstable. So it looks like I'll have to trim some of the legs to make it work... The instructions also say that the installation is incorrect if any of the legs are not touching the ground.. My problem is when I trim the legs, the apron likely still won't be touching the ground across the front since the floor isn't level in that direction.. Is it better to have the tub sloped a bit extra towards the drain to have the apron flush with the ground, or have it perfectly level, and have the apron off the ground? Would I then have to shim the apron so that it's stable or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Trevor

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What are you putting on the finished floor when you're finished with the tub? If it's tile, then typically, the thickness of that will hide most of the problems. It's not a good idea to not level the tub. Having the top surface not level will mean water will pool, and cause other problems, at the low end, and maybe, cause water to run out onto the floor if it ends up slanted that way, too. An alternative is to potentially use some piles of mortar underneath and don't worry about the feet at all. Press the tub down into it until level, and then leave it overnight to set up.

trevorn

Reaction score
What are you putting on the finished floor when you're finished with the tub? If it's tile, then typically, the thickness of that will hide most of the problems. It's not a good idea to not level the tub. Having the top surface not level will mean water will pool, and cause other problems, at the low end, and maybe, cause water to run out onto the floor if it ends up slanted that way, too. An alternative is to potentially use some piles of mortar underneath and don't worry about the feet at all. Press the tub down into it until level, and then leave it overnight to set up.
I'm not doing tile... I suppose I could shim the apron so it doesn't rock away from the wall.. Good points though on saying the tub should be level.

Reach4

Reaction score
This one?
Sydney-RightHand__4.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
No. I was just curious about this tub with wooden legs. I have never installed a tub.

I was also curious about a tub that might rock away from the wall.

Aren't you going to have a caulk/sealant between the floor and the tub?

When doing searches for tub installation, try adding mortar to your search.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like to find out how level the floor is before I start. Installing tile to a crooked tub looks pretty bad.
I find the high spot, and work from there. Often I'm using a stringer on the wall, and using shims and mortar in some cases.
Sometimes if things are level, you can just drop them in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks