Leveling a water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by travis b, Feb 2, 2007.

1. travis b

travis b New Member

I'm installing a new water heater on a floor sloped significantly toward a nearby floor drain. To level the heater, the "downhill" edge needs to be raised about 1". What's the best way to level the water heater? There are no legs on the heater...just a flat metal base. Can I just shim the downhill side, or should I make some sort of low platform? I need a way to prevent the 400 pounds of water pushing down over time from damaging the base of the heater. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
  2. Plumb or Die

Plumb or Die Plumbing Instructor

Try a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the shape of the tank and shim the plywood.
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

To keep it "high and dry", my water heater is sitting on bricks on the concrete basement floor, and not too far from a sump and pump. And to deal with your sloping floor, just try different combinations of bricks or patio blocks of various dimensions turned one way or another at three points under your heater until it is standing straight!
  4. Rancher

Rancher Guest

You could pour a small pad of concrete in a form, it would be fairly easy to make one 4" tall on the downhill side and 3" tall on the uphill side. Then you wouldn't ahve to worry about it ever getting wet and rotting.

And I'm not sure there is a problem here, other than making it look professional.

Rancher
  5. kordts

kordts In the Trades

How about sheet lead for shims?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

level

Go to HD and buy a 2' disc of 3/4" plywood, and then shim it level with whatever it takes. Then put the heater on it. If you are concerned about water from the heater damaging it, then put the heater in a "safety" pan.